SASS Wire Forum

Miguel Cabrera

Rye Miles #13621

Let me start by saying this guy is great and I have nothing against him. He compiled 3170 hits, 511 homeruns and a lifetime Batting Avg. of  .306 Only 3 players in history have these numbers. Willy Mays and Hank Aaron!

His very last game against the Guardians he was a DH. After his last at bat they gave him a glove and put him out on First base in the top of the 8th inning. The first batter unbelievably hit a ground ball to him and he stepped first for the out! 8th inning ONE out! They stopped the game and for about 15 minutes or more and they congratulated him. His family was on the field as well as the whole entire Detroit team. He was done for the day. I thought that was a pretty strange since the game was still going on! It was 5-2 Tigers but the Guardians had at least two more batters to go in the 8th inning and then of course the 9th inning!

They couldn't have waited until the game was over? I thought that was pretty strange! The Tigers won BTW. 

Whadya think baseball fans?

It was the thing to do, in my opinion. Other teams have done similar things, it’s not like either team is playing in the playoffs so the season is essentially over for both teams. He was a great player and deserved the tribute. 

11 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

It was the thing to do, in my opinion. Other teams have done similar things, it’s not like either team is playing in the playoffs so the season is essentially over for both teams. He was a great player and deserved the tribute. 

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Good theatre.  Gave him is due before the fans started leaving in the 9th.  
Great player.  Good that he will be staying on to help bring up the young 'uns in the game.

I get what you guys are saying but in the middle of the game? (Well, the 8th inning) The Guardians and Tigers were battling for second place, I know not a big deal but I just thought it was out of line while the game was still going on! It showed disrespect for the game and the opposing team IMHO

Like I said I have nothing against Miggy, great hitter and ballplayer but I thought this was a little over the top!

Another player had ? homeruns and ? stolen bases in a season, setting a record. Did the same thing for him...stopped the game in play. I completely disagreed with it.

Cabrera is a great baseball player, mainly for hitting. Stopping the game, in play, makes absolutely no sense when they could have done it at the beginning of the game. I completely disagree with game stoppage for awards/honors of any sort. 

It's not as bad as a team (I don't remember which one) giving him a $900 bottle of wine as an honor...it is well known that Cabrera is an recovering alcoholic. How dumb is that!

Archived