SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 44/40

Pat Riot

I was in the gun store a couple of days ago and was walking around looking at the huge selection of lever guns. Mostly Henry’s with some Rossi’s and Chiappa’s mixed in and lo and behold I see a yellow gun tag hanging off of a Marlin 1894 in 44/40. In that store a yellow tag means brand new. Used guns have blue tags. I think the price was $1400, but I can’t be certain. I looked at so many price tags. 
Anyway, I got really excited that Marlin came out with another new chambering in the 1894 and pretty much forgot about it until this morning. 
After looking at the new Marlin website I see they only offer the .44 Magnum still. 
Either someone used the wrong tag or that gun is considered “new” as maybe it had never been fired. It sure looks brand new. 
I did not ask to see the gun. They are all locked behind glass in big wall cases. 

On another note it sure is nice to see so many good looking lever guns behind glass at a gun store. They probably have 60-70 lever guns on display. 

The store is called ATR Performance in Fairmont, WV

I figure a Marlin 44/40 is a rare bird. Maybe someone might want to know about it. 

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Most likely NOS. Someone might have found it ratholed in the back room.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Marlin is not currently making a .44-40. 

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Most likely NOS. Someone might have found it ratholed in the back room.

That’s pretty much what I thought. 

Archived