SASS Wire Forum

Stevens Ranger 12 gauge pump action shotgun dates of manufacture

I have my father's gun and am going to give it to my son-in law.

Dad told me bought it from a man who said it was made in 1923.  Dad bought it in 1943 ,along with a Model 8 Remington 35 caliber, for $35.00 for both.

I bought them both from Dad in 1963 for $75.00 for the pair.

The Stevens Ranger brand was a Sears Roebuck house brand.  The Stevens factory had two tragic fires that destroyed most of their records and the web has more actual, possible, and speculative info on numbers than I could have ever imagined.  I can't tell when it was made and I think my SIL would like to know, if possible.

The gun is marked on the lower tang with U 315XX.  I can't find enough of any other markings to identify, but it is most certainly a Browning hump back design and it appears to be a Stevens 520.

I just had David Fink at Finks Custom Gunsmithing on the campus of Gunsight Academy go over the gun make few repairs and certify it to sound with standard velocity ammo.  It's still as slick as oiled teflon and the easiest repeating gun I ever took apart.

Can anyone help identify this old veteran.

Thanks.

• Forty Rod SASS 3935 changed the title to Stevens Ranger 12 gauge pump action shotgun dates of manufacture

Is this the one?

Screenshot2023-07-25at4_51_28PM.thumb.png.9c6be1d1029844854c8ff1f5877350f3.png

Looks like there is no serial number data.

"The Ranger Model 30 is a variant of the Stevens Model 520A which was manufactured between 1912 and 1932 with some 191,000 being produced. No records are available to give a more exact date of manufacture."

5 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Did you mean Stevens 520 pump? Wikipedia gives a few design changes that my help narrow it down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens_Model_520/620

Yep, I meant a 520.  I changed it.  Thanks for backstopping me.

18 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Is this the one?

Screenshot2023-07-25at4_51_28PM.thumb.png.9c6be1d1029844854c8ff1f5877350f3.png

Looks like there is no serial number data.

"The Ranger Model 30 is a variant of the Stevens Model 520A which was manufactured between 1912 and 1932 with some 191,000 being produced. No records are available to give a more exact date of manufacture."

Looks like it except my gun has the "Ranger" lettering centered on the side and no cowboy.

54 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Did you look at the link I posted? There are pictures of different guns from different eras with dates. Post a picture of each side of the receiver.

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

None of those look like mine.  Close but no cigar.

Archived