SASS Wire Forum

Medic Alert V.S. Tattoo

Calamity Kris

I was relaying a recent ambulance ride/hospital stay with a co-worker.  One of my prior surgeries will not allow for an I.V. in my right arm.  Ever.  I had to aggressively keep both the ambulance techs and hospital staff from attempting to put an I.V. in that arm.  {I had to put my arm behind my back while telling them no I.V.s there and they still tried to pull it out and use it.}  My co-worker suggested I have "No I.V. in this arm" tattooed on the inside of my arm in the case that I'm incapacitated and can't alert anyone.  Uno suggested I just get a medic alert bracelet. 

What are your thoughts?  Do medical staff actually look at medic alert bracelets?  Would medical staff just blow off the tattoo as another person with ink?

Thanks,

As a former first responder, we were trained to look for the medic alert bracelet/necklace.

Kinda bothered that you were conscious and the medical/hospital staff ignored you (which is the premise behind the bracelet/necklace-to speak for you if you cannot).

If they are trained to look for a tattoo for medical info, that's another story. But personally, I would look for the bracelet/necklace, and figure any tattoos were just for the enjoyment of the wearer.

Wear a light weight  sleeve on that arm with instruction to NOT use it for iv or other medical  procedures.   Include your Dr's name.  This should get their attention. 

Medic Alert bracelets and necklaces get attention. I am not sure a tattoo would get the needed attention unless maybe it included the medic alert symbol. 

IMG_6390.thumb.jpeg.a45074d9e6662cbefa3d9a336c229f9d.jpeg

Also you can make an Advance Directive that states you cannot have an injection or I.V. in your right arm. 

Archived