SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1885 Winchester Single Set Trigger Issue

Rancho Roy

I bought a used Uberti 1885 rifle in 38-55 with a single set trigger.  I'm reading that some folks say the hammer will only come to half cock when the lever is lowered and others say it will come to full cock. Mine comes to full cock..... But today I experienced a AD as I closed the lever on a live round. Not good! I adjusted the trigger setting screw in and out and it made no improvement. Using a spent case and using the lever fast and slow, at times the hammer would follow the loading block down, and at worse the hammer would AD. 

I'm trying to find out if the previous owner might have had someone modify the hammer/trigger to go to full cock or is this the way it came from the factory. I have a couple other ORIGINAL  low walls and high walls and they all come to half cock when the lever is lowered.

What say the board.....

I have not seen nor handled a factory Italian gun that remained at full cock when closed, so my vote is that it was modified.  If factory parts are available it seems that might be an easy fix.

Original Winchester 1885's cocked when the lever was closed.  However every Uberti I have seen and handled only goes to half-cock.  This is right out of the Uberti 1885 owner's manual.

Screenshot2023-07-01at9_54_46AM.thumb.png.0f5c29f2e857998643ea710d5767222f.png

Screenshot2023-07-01at9_55_08AM.thumb.png.f5d4678ea832e2ef96914c9af9de40e2.png

FIXED IT!...The sear was about .001" too long and unless you really shoved the lever forward, it would rest on the edge of the hammer cut.....A few swipes with an India Stone and it is now engaging perfectly.......Look out Matamoras PA......Here I come! :D

Archived