SASS Wire Forum

OPEN TOP FIRING PIN HOLES

I've got a pair of Uberti 1860 R-M conversions in .44. I'm thinking these are early production guns as serial numbers are XO and 4 digits. Came to me used . Both of these guns hang up from primers flowing  out of the primer pocket and dragging on the recoil shield.  I first tried lighter loads, then heavier loads. The firing pins were some sharp claw looking parts, so I replaced them with new pins. I've heard about enlarged firing pin holes, but these aren't much larger than the holes on a new Uberti of the same model. I only have Federal primers at this time( I know, lucky to have any!) , but I'm wondering if another brand has a stronger cap face that would prevent distortion.  

A picture or 2 of the offending cases showing the spent primers would help a whole bunch. Also knowing caliber, powder type and load and bullet type and weight would help too. Do you still have the old firing pins?

Are the primers being pierced?  Some of my conversions needed the FP stoned a bit to dull them.  Are there any primer-size indentations around the FP hole for the primers to back out into?

Neither the original pins or the replacement pins have ever pierced the primers. Both of the firing pin holes are larger than on my new gun, but not by much. I don't think it's all wear,  I think they were sloppy when made. But , the problem is that the primer does flow and raises up enough to drag.

I know there are some 'smiths who can fill in the FP hole a bit.  I can't answer about other primers but if you know someone you could trade a few primers with you could check it out.

It actually doesn't take a lot of "oversize" to get primer cup material to flow back into the Firing Pin Hole.  You have two fixes.  As mentioned by Abilene, a real good "small job" welder to fill the hole then re-drill it.  Or find a smith to install hardened 
Firing Pin Bushings in the Breach Face.

Archived