SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger trigger locked up UPDATE

Rye Miles #13621

My one front trigger on my Stoeger was locked up so I  had my gunsmith look at it, he took it apart and we found a small piece of shot,(bb) hanging up the trigger. Turns out all I need is a really long screwdriver to take the stock off and get a look at the inside! All fixed, no charge but I gave him $20.00 because he's a good dude and so am I.;)

Easy fix?   Depends upon what has caused the jam in the trigger.  Could be as easy as very dirty and needs to be cleaned and lubed.  Could be as hard as needing a new trigger blade due to damage or wear.

So, to see that has happened, you do need to open up the action and see what is locking up one trigger.  Before you do a lot more shooting with the crippled shotgun. 

Stoegers don't have a "shop manual" that you can ask for or buy.  I'd suggest what I wrote for another shooter here a week or so ago:

I find a general shotgun disassembly manual is a good help especially for figuring out double barrel action mechanics, like the J.B Woods authored "Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part V: Shotguns 2nd Edition" which has a nice chapter on Stoeger double-barrels, with photos.  A Gun Digest book published by Krause Publications.  ISBN 0-87349-400-8. 

Anymore, when working on a firearm I've never touched before, I take copious digital photos of what appear to be any "tricky parts" of the mechanism BEFORE the disassembly of that area.   And then some photos of the steps, and the loose parts.   At least then I mostly know what area of the mechanism the parts go back into, where they need to fit, the order of assembly and the bearing on other parts.

Taking apart a double-barrel action is something that most shotgun owners will need to know how to do, so if you have any mechanical skills and good screwdrivers and patience, this is a good time to learn!   If the answer to this question is no, or you don't have 4 hours for fiddling with parts on this first foray into a double's innards, then it's a job for your gunsmith. 

good luck, GJ

Thanks Joe, great advice, I think I'll go to the gunsmith!B)

I found a note in the tri-fold  that came with mine. Don't exceed 5 ft. lbs. Torque when tightening the butt stock bolt.

Archived