SASS Wire Forum

Is it normal to have to clean a SAA replica revolver after 80 shots (using smokeless powder, not blackpowder)?

Mysterious Stranger

4 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

If the cylinder will spin with unfired ammo, but then hangs up on the primer after firing, then the problem is that the loads are too light, not that the primers were loaded too high.

I once asked Shalako Joe, former World Champ, how often he cleaned his guns.  Granted these were Old Model Vaqueros at that time, before he switched to Model P's, but he said "a couple times a year"  They were using Clays.

No, the cylinder would not spin BEFORE the cartridges with the brand new cases were fired. i.e the cylinder would not spin during the loading of the cartridges into the revolver because one of the primers was too high. This happened with 2 cylinder loads today, and what finally made me examine the primers CLOSELY. They were only a lITTLE high, could FEEL them when I tried to run my nail across the base of the cartridge. Could not SEE them.

Jim G

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work out a loading table routine, then stick with it. Eventually it will become automatic. Think of it as a preflight check.

For me it’s always - long guns on table, lever lever, lower hammer, check for high primers, load rifle, load first pistol, spin, ensure empty under hammer, lower hammer, load second pistol, spin, ensure empty under hammer, lower hammer, check shot shells, rehearse stage half dozen times, when next up to shoot holster pistols, rehearse stage one more time, time to shoot.

I don’t deviate from that.

8 hours ago, Jim Gnitecki said:

Those cases were first time fired, fresh from the factory. Dirty primer pockets were not the problem. My failure to push the Dillon handle rearward a bit harder than for Federal primers were the problem. I just applied "the same force as I always have", but with the CCI primers, that was not sufficient for 100% of the primers. Maybe 95%, but not 100%.

Jim G

Never had any issue like that on my D550.

Been using my 550 since 1987.

If you are using the ball handle to load with. Look at the upgraded roller handle version. Really makes a difference in the 'feel'.

Yes, revolver headspace is the distance from recoil shield to the chamber where the front edge of rim seats.  Which includes the full thickness of the rim, and then at least 0.003" clearance for the loaded cylinder to rotate.  Measured with all cylinder slop taken up by putting a little pressure on back of cylinder.  Filing on the recoil shield enlarges head space.  Shaving back of cylinder, if using non-rebated chambers, affects head space.  And, case rim thickness varies within SAAMI tolerances, so if you ever measure headspace, compare to the SAAMI case manufacturing specs and make sure the thickest rim will fit.

A great article by Reid Coffield of Shooting Times:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/gunsmithing_st_revolverheadspace_200805/100263

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yes, revolver headspace is the distance from recoil shield to the chamber where the front edge of rim seats.  Which includes the full thickness of the rim, and then at least 0.003" clearance for the loaded cylinder to rotate.  Measured with all cylinder slop taken up by putting a little pressure on back of cylinder.  Filing on the recoil shield enlarges head space.  Shaving back of cylinder, if using non-rebated chambers, affects head space.  And, case rim thickness varies within SAAMI tolerances, so if you ever measure headspace, compare to the SAAMI case manufacturing specs and make sure the thickest rim will fit.

A great article by Reid Coffield of Shooting Times:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/gunsmithing_st_revolverheadspace_200805/100263

good luck, GJ

THANK-YOU for that great explanation, and the link to that article! This is a topic I have never explored depsite having been shooting revolvers for a log time back in the day. The rmeinder that RIM THICKNESS can vary is an especially good reminder.

Jim G

Archived