SASS Wire Forum

ISO 25-20 Winchester Ammo

20-25 is a new one on me - 25-20 maybe? There are a couple boxes of Remington .25-20 on Gunbroker for $4.50/round, plus shipping, and a couple more boxes of Winchester currently at $2.60/round, plus shipping, with 4+ days remaining.

You can also form brass from .32-20 or .218 Bee. Hornady made a run of .218 Bee about five years back, but right now they're just as rare as .25-20 brass. For that matter, even .32-20 brass is non-existent at the moment. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Pard

Glad you found a source of brass. Bot a Model 92 in 25-20 decades ago and finding brass required a never-ending search mentality.  A wonderful shootin’ buddy was at a gun show some bit of time ago and scored a goodly amount of brass for me.

Good thing too as older Rem, R-P, W-W, etc brass tends to be very thin and on the fragile side. Even reloading s-l-o-w-l-y and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y I still manage to mangle a case now and then and case splits seem all too inevitable. Starline makes some great, very strong 32-20 brass compared to the older stuff.  I have recommended to them on various occasions to add 25-20 to their product line and perhaps someday they will.

In addition to reloading, I also cast bullets for it. I’ve had great results with the Lyman 257420. Cast the bullets with a medium-hard alloy, gas check them, and use liquid alox to tumble lube. They typically weigh in the 70-grain range and, again, are capable of far greater accuracy than my humble shooting abilities allow. I’ve tried various powder combinations and found 9 grains of 4198 (either IMR or H) to be most accurate in my rifle.

Hope you’ll enjoy that old smoke pole!

Keep on the sunny side!

Adios 

Fort Reno Kid 

Archived