SASS Wire Forum

Servicios Aventuras Small Pistol Primers at Powder Valley

Texas Maverick

Has anyone tried this primer in our CAS guns? Good price and no limit as of right now.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/servicios-aventuras-small-pistol-primers/

Thanks

Texas Maverick

I'm using up the supply I've got and don't plan on buying them again.  The problem was I got 2% or so failure to fire in my pistols with them, but I solved that problem by seating them deeper using a hand primer than my Dillon SDB seated them. They appear to be slightly shorter than other primers. I no longer have problems with them but it takes more effort to make them work right all the time so that's why I'll steer clear of them from now on.

I have been using them for a while now, but only in my practice rounds. I save my federals for matches. As Hellbender said you have to make sure they are well seated. Other than that, I have no complaints. 

Crusty Steve

4 hours ago, Hellbender said:

I'm using up the supply I've got and don't plan on buying them again.  The problem was I got 2% or so failure to fire in my pistols with them, but I solved that problem by seating them deeper using a hand primer than my Dillon SDB seated them. They appear to be slightly shorter than other primers. I no longer have problems with them but it takes more effort to make them work right all the time so that's why I'll steer clear of them from now on.

You should always seat a primer to the bottom of the primer pocket. That's SOP......

11 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You should always seat a primer to the bottom of the primer pocket. That's SOP......

Yes, I do know that.  My SDB does seat Federal, Winchester, and other primers to the bottom so I assumed these were being seated to the bottom also.  It was only after I discovered that these were not that I started hand priming them.

12 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

Yes, I do know that.  My SDB does seat Federal, Winchester, and other primers to the bottom so I assumed these were being seated to the bottom also.  It was only after I discovered that these were not that I started hand priming them.

Why not fix the Dillon, instead? 

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why not fix the Dillon, instead? 

I didn’t know the seating depth was adjustable.  How do you adjust it?

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's not, if adjusted correctly to start with.

RTM....

I believe it was adjusted correctly because it seats Federal and all other primers I’ve used (except the ones under discussion) correctly.  

47 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

I believe it was adjusted correctly because it seats Federal and all other primers I’ve used (except the ones under discussion) correctly.  

I it was adjusted correctly, you wouldn't have the variance you are seeing.

I suggest you call Dillon.  

I it was adjusted correctly, you wouldn't have the variance you are seeing.

I suggest you call Dillon.  

I'm not understanding what you are saying.  If it was adjusted to push Federal primers all the way in then, then it wouldn't push shorter primers all the way in (that's what apparently happens with the Servicios Adenturas primers).  But if it was adjusted to push shorter primers all the way in, then wouldn't it crush Federal primers?  Please explain.  Thanks.

I don't have any cowboy guns that use small pistol primers so can't comment on the Argie primers in them.

I have discovered that in new fangled semi automatic pistols that the hammer fired pistols shoot them fine but I get some misfires with striker guns.  I suspect that they are a mite harder than Winchester primers.  They seem to seat the same as the Winchester and Federal I use.

1 hour ago, Hellbender said:

I'm not understanding what you are saying.  If it was adjusted to push Federal primers all the way in then, then it wouldn't push shorter primers all the way in (that's what apparently happens with the Servicios Adenturas primers).  But if it was adjusted to push shorter primers all the way in, then wouldn't it crush Federal primers?  Please explain.  Thanks.

Like I have said before.

CALL Dillon.....

Small pistol primers are all the same dimensionally. 

Make sure you have ZERO up/down play in your shell plate. 

27 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Like I have said before.

CALL Dillon.....

I appreciate your advice butWell, I don’t  believe that is true (all primers having the same dimensions) because I measured Servicios Adventuras and Federal SPP and found that the SA primers were up to 4/1000” shorter than the Federal.  That is my basis for saying they are shorter.  Being shorter than standard they don’t always seat reliably in my press.  I’ve never had this issue with any of the 4 other brands of primers I’ve used so I don’t believe anything is wrong with my SDB.  Instead I think it’s a quality control issue with Servicios Adventuras.

1 hour ago, Hellbender said:

Like I have said before.

CALL Dillon.....

I appreciate your advice butWell, I don’t  believe that is true (all primers having the same dimensions) because I measured Servicios Adventuras and Federal SPP and found that the SA primers were up to 4/1000” shorter than the Federal.  That is my basis for saying they are shorter.  Being shorter than standard they don’t always seat reliably in my press.  I’ve never had this issue with any of the 4 other brands of primers I’ve used so I don’t believe anything is wrong with my SDB.  Instead I think it’s a quality control issue with Servicios Adventuras.

Measure the cup height, and not where the anvil sits.

47 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Measure the cup height, and not where the anvil sits.

That’s what I measured - from the base of the cup to the top.  

28 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

All I am saying is I suspect Servicios Adventuras probably has such poor quality control that a certain percentage of their primers are not up to specs.

15 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

All I am saying is I suspect Servicios Adventuras probably has such poor quality control that a certain percentage of their primers are not up to specs.

The ones I used, loaded and fired just fine.

I load on a Dillon 550, no issues seating them in mixed headstamp brass that I have used for years.

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The ones I used, loaded and fired just fine.

I load on a Dillon 550, no issues seating them in mixed headstamp brass that I have used for years.

I guess then a few faulty ones slipped through and I was unlucky enough to get some of them.

Archived