SASS Wire Forum

The Real Warriors Behind ‘The Woman King’

Sedalia Dave

The Real Warriors Behind ‘The Woman King

At its height in the 1840s, the West African kingdom of Dahomey boasted an army so fierce that its enemies spoke of its “prodigious bravery.” This 6,000-strong force, known as the Agojie, raided villages under cover of darkness, took captives and slashed off resisters’ heads to return to their king as trophies of war. Through these actions, the Agojie established Dahomey’s preeminence over neighboring kingdoms and became known by European visitors as “Amazons” due to their similarities to the warrior women of Greek myth.

Movie looks interesting.

I pay 19.99 monthly to AMC theatres for "free" admission to up to 3 movies a week. 

I figure if I see two a month - Im ahead on the deal.

So I am willing to go to movies that I otherwise might skip because

"it aint costing me nothing but time and Ill get popcorn out of the deal"

More of a character story than the bad ass female warrior chronicle that the trailers might lead you to expect.

And parts of it degenerated into "Real Housewives of Dahomie" type drama that I expect would have been handled quick and bloody if it had actually occurred.

I would have liked to have seen a more historically accurate rendition of events (even if slightly fictionalized to tell a story).

But as presented - The Woman King was "ok" - I would not clamor for you to watch it nor would I attempt to tell you not to.

IMO; It was mildly entertaining and immediately forgettable.

But I got popcorn and a Barqs rootbeer - so not an all bad afternoon at the movies.

I wanted to see it but it only played here for a week. Black Adam has been playing 0ver two weeks now. I saw it. Waste of time and a stupid title. <_<
And I like Dwain Johnson. 

Archived