SASS Wire Forum

Anyone using shooters world clean shot in C45S?

Vaquero Kidd

I was able to wrangle a good stock of C45S brass. I plan to load 160 gn RNFP from Bullets by Scarlett. I have a healthy supply of Shooters World Clean Shot. I love it in 45 Colt for cowboy and 45 acp for Wild Bunch. It’s clean, light shooting, and it meters awesome! Just wondering if any pards out there are using it for their shortys. Does it perform ok? Or should I look at some other powder. I only know of one other shooter in my club that loads them but he’s shooting black powder out of them. If you shoot clean shot please let me know how it does and let me know if you have any favorite loads. Unsurprisingly there’s nothing on the Shooters world site. Just to get me started working something up…

Thanks all!

Started a thread here: 

I recently picked up a couple of pounds of Clean Shot and as soon as I finish loading up a mess of 45 Colt, I plan to experiment with the Clean Shot in C45S with the 170gr bullets I use. I will post results whenever I get a chance.

4 hours ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

45CS is a essentially a rimmed 45 ACP if it works for your wildbunch load I would be tempted to put the lighter bullet on top of that charge as a starting point.

I thought about that myself but I also remembered that 45 acp is a good bit more pressure than a 45 colt.  Sounds risky to me. Then again I’ve only been reloading for about a year and a half and only just started reloading auto pistol calibers just last month… fear of blowing my hand off makes me pause and ask questions. Lol

12 hours ago, Vaquero Kidd said:

I thought about that myself but I also remembered that 45 acp is a good bit more pressure than a 45 colt.  Sounds risky to me. Then again I’ve only been reloading for about a year and a half and only just started reloading auto pistol calibers just last month… fear of blowing my hand off makes me pause and ask questions. Lol

I answered this question on the other thread by using 45ACP data and a reduced load calculator.  The closed the Shooter World data comes to a 160LRN is a 155 Sintered bullet.  Using my reduced load calculator I take the low published load of 5.0 grains of Clean Shot for 935 fps and set my target velocity @ 760 fps and the formula spits out 3.2 grains to get that velocity.  I can then look at a comparable volume case and see what that published data sez.  A 45ACP has 2.7 gr H20, and a .357Magnum has 2.2gr of H2O capacity.   The data for a 158gr LRN suggests 3.5 grs. of clean shot as a starting load to yield 752 fps.  Using the slightly larger C45S case and .3 gr less powder I'm quite confident 3.2 grains of Clean Shot would be safe in my Colt SAAs.   This the same methodology I used to get my Titegroup load in the C45S about 5 years ago.

I did some testing back in February with 45CS, Clean Shot, and 160 gr RNFP bullets from Scarlet, Fed LPP.  Here are my results out of 4.62" Ruger New Model Vaqueros. 

4.0 grains : Avg Vel: 606, SD 17.7

3.8 grains : Avg Vel: 568, SD 21.5

3.6 grains : Avg Vel: 446, SD 18.9

When I use my smokeless in my 45's with 45CS, I will go with 4.0 grains, smallest group out of the three tested, and not that much more felt recoil from my 38's with 140 gr's.  

I also used Clean Shot for my 12 Gauge loads.  Win AA HS hulls, 7/8 oz #8 shot, #19 MEC bushing (MEC Sizemaster), Claybuster CB0178-12 Wad, any primer.  Nice low recoil load, I can't tell them apart from the Winchester LRLN factory load.

If I ever go back to shooting smokeless, I will use Clean Shot for sure.  Only negative is that the powder appears to have a flash retardant added, so you get a bit of residue from that, looks like very small yellow kernels. 

Archived