SASS Wire Forum

Third Model Schofield?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

The original Smith & Wesson Schofield revolver saw two versions, the First Model Schofield and the Second Model Schofield.

I have seen a couple or articles that sometimes refer to the ones made by S&W in the early 2000's as a "Third Model Schofield."  I don't believe S&W ever used this designation, but I have seen it.    Anyone know where the term might have originated?

It is an informal designation created from outside S&W by gun media to differentiate the PC 2000 Schofields from the originals.

From S&W PC Schofield product literature:

image.thumb.png.8f26e97b9460b390fe07f95ddfefeb58.png

image.png.3773d2703f275f3f8bd5b3b752e43683.png

Because S&W created this so-called Schofield in 2000, I imagine some folks might have termed it a "Third Model Schofield".  This gun was supposed to be a complete replica of the original. I was at the SHOT Show when the gun was introduced.  As a matter of fact, I even talked with Roy Jinks, the expert on S&W revolvers. Mr. Jinks told me that S&W had used one of his originals to create the Model 2000.  Unfortunately, the 2000 is NOT an exact replica of the original! You see, the cylinder of the originals were long enough to acommodate the ".45 Revolver Ball" government cartridge, but not long enough for the .45 LC.  The length of the frame on the originals was long enough for the Colt, and to span the gap between the shorter cylinder and the forcing cone, the breech end of the barrel was brought back to meet the front of the cylinder.  This arrangement made it okay with black powder cartridges, smokeless not having been developed yet.  When Uberti, et al, brought out their replicas of the Schofield, they wanted their guns able to take the longer cartridge,  so they kept the length of the original frame, but they lengthened the cylinder and shortened the rear of the barrel.  "Unfortunately", this did not make it really suitable for BP.  Apparently S&W was concerned about people hopping up the loads of smokeless powder if they made their M2000 capable of handling the .45 LC.  So, they shortened the frame to prevent a longer cylinder from being installed in the gun. But the result made the M2000 not handle BP very well.  Apparently, again, that limited the desirability of Smith's gun, versus the Italian replicas.  I'm not sure when S&W discontinued their gun, but I'd bet not handling either the .45 LC or BP had something to do with it.  I've heard that some folks with the Uberti models can get them to work with BP.   

I realize that some folks are disturbed by the differences between the 2000 and an original.  None of that bothers me.

When I went looking, I wanted a "real" S&W, made by S&W.  I wanted the deep, fluid blue, and the precise manufacture of S&W firearms.  And I wanted the original caliber - .45 Schofield.

So i have a pair with 7" barrels.  And they make me smile.

LL

Archived