SASS Wire Forum

Toggle link jam?

Long Gun Preacher

I just bought a Henry original rare carbine in 44-40

Put 50 rounds through it  Had one jam.  As near as I could tell, I did not work the lever forcefully enough and the fired round did not eject before the next round was lifted and they were jammed together  Pushing up the lifter with my finger solved it

Is this a common issue with toggle links?  Its my first

with thanks in advance for any and all advice

Once in a great while my 73 in 44-40, the fired case will get stuck in the extractor and not eject. Every time this happened has been in competition, so I just reach up and yank the stuck case out. I don't believe this is due to weak levering as my technique is pretty steady. I can never recreate the issue dry firing dummy rounds, no matter how weak or fast I lever, but dummy rounds have a bullet in them so not the same as ejecting an empty case. Stuff happens.

The extractor in the 60, 66 and 73 is very thin.

Try sorting your rifle brass by the rim groove.

Starline has the widest/deepest groove.

Winchester has a very narrow groove and the extractor may not drop full in to the groove to draw the case out of the breech.

In my experience short stroking can cause this. A toggle link is not as bad as an 1892 but can still fail to eject if not forcefully levered. Some short stroked rifles are actually more susceptible than standard stroked guns for some reason. 

Archived