SASS Wire Forum

WTB - shot capsules 38/357

Let me know if you don't find what you're looking for.  I may have a spare box of loaded 357MAG shotshell ammo I could part with.  I load it every other round in my Colt Trooper when hunting in snakeville, which is pretty much everywhere here in Texas.  The alternating other three rounds are Buffalo Bore's HEAVY 357 MAG OUTDOORSMAN - 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC.  That said, diamondbacks are harmless; if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.  Cottonmouths, though can be "needlessly aggressive" as a friend of mine said, and they occasionally WILL come at you for no reason at all.  We avoided this "inquisitive" little fella on Sunday ...

20220424_080852.jpg

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I use bullets, though I do have some shotshells bought for the Wife if I'm not at home.

I generally agree that bullets are more effective at stopping a snake, and you don't need to get nearly so close to make a kill shot.  However, I don't see any reason at all to take a "long range" shot at a snake.  Just avoid them -- they are part of the ecosystem just the same as every other plant and animal out there, and 99.99% of them won't bother you if you don't bother them.  Killing a snake might seem like a macho thing to some; to me, it is pointless and done only in true self-defense.  In fact, when I hunt in the NWRs it is specifically forbidden unless in true self-defense, and the wardens are serious about it and repeatedly remind the hunters to leave the snakes alone.

Just now, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I generally agree that bullets are more effective at stopping a snake, and you don't need to get nearly so close to make a kill shot.  However, I don't see any reason at all to take a "long range" shot at a snake.  Just avoid them -- they are part of the ecosystem just the same as every other plant and animal out there, and 99.99% of them won't bother you if you don't bother them.  Killing a snake might seem like a macho thing to some; to me, it is pointless and done only in true self-defense.  In fact, when I hunt in the NWRs it is specifically forbidden unless in true self-defense, and the wardens are serious about it and repeatedly remind the hunters to leave the snakes alone.

Knowing that a venomous snake may be near the house is one thing, knowing there is one is quite another.  I kill every venomous snake I see on My property.  A friendly acquaintance and former Border Patrolman was bitten and died despite the best of modern medicine.  Then there are my dogs.  Off the property, I'd walk away, though I'd consider it shirking a public service.  

Around the house, under the porch, yes, that's a different matter entirely, though the fewer snakes you have, the more rats, gophers, etc. you'll have -- pick your poison, so to speak.  Out in the wilds, particularly in designated reserves, WMAs, SNAs, etc., is another thing and the snakes there should be left alone when possible, IMHO.  I was in Brazil a few years ago with my wife and some other folks, all on horses riding out in the wildlands.  One of the horses was snake-bit on its face when the horses stopped to graze for a minute.  Our gaucho took the rider on his horse, removed the saddle and all tack from the stricken horse, and we left her out there to die, which she did overnight.  We came back the next day to see maybe two dozen or more vultures feasting on the carcass.  It is all just nature's way, though it was sad to see that beautiful mare dying and dead.

Around the house, a garden hoe is 1000% more effective than a pistol. 

If you don't want poisonous snakes around then make sure you have a few Black, Gopher, King, or Rat snakes hanging about. They will run off or kill any of the poisonous varieties.  As a farm kid we would catch any beneficial snakes we came across out in the fields and turn them loose near the house, barns and outbuildings. Never found any poisonous snakes around once we started doing that.

Archived