SASS Wire Forum

Colt saa BP users.

El CupAJoe

Triple fowling prevention present on newer reproductions?

Excellent little piece.  And quite accurate.  Some of the manufacturers of 1873 Colt replicants, INCLUDING Colt, have from time to time skipped the separate rotating Base Pin Bushing much to their chagrin.  All three of those pieces are intended turn freely.  Pietta has a wonky Base Pin that doesn't rotate freely and is one I replaced regularly for one grooved all around the pin.  They (Pietta) have for the most part, included the rotating Base Pin Bushing that needs cleaning up.

I shot Gen II .45 Colts for most of my life.  I used both BP and smokeless without a hitch.  I also had a Husquevarna in .357 which gave me no trouble and now I have a pair of AWA Longhorns  in.45 that I bought almost 30 years ago when they were first introduced.  I shot BP almost exclusively until about twelve years ago and never hd a hitch (save for a cylinder pin which was bent and jammed me up. Owen Munny fixed that in about fifteen minutes and I've never had a another problem.)

I've had three 1875 Remington clones, all .45s.  The first pair were nickel plated from the factory and performed well with both BP and smoKeless without a bushing, but were hard to get the empties out of and were the most inaccurate guns I've ever owned.  My SMaj bought them for his sons and had someone work them over until they worked well.  The last one was a second hand gun.  I bought it from a machinist at McDonnell Douglas who worked with me and he had put a cylinder bushing in it.  It worked beautifully but I sold it when I lost my job.

Now I have  First Model American from Cimarron / Uberti .45.  I have never used BP in it and don't have any idea if it has a bushing or not because I haven't yet figured out how to get the cylinder out of it.  No problems with it except the 8" barrel adds about eleven pounds to the gun and it's just HEAVY.  Sure is an elegant-looking beastie, though.

Archived