SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 66 Action Work

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Hi, all.

I recently obtained an Uberti 66 in .22LR.  It's a nifty gun, but the action is incredibly stiff.   To my fellow New England shootists, can anyone recommend a gunsmith to do some basic work on the action for me?   I don't want a short stroke and I certainly don't want to turn it into a race gun.  I just don't want to have to fight with it when I work the action.

I did fire off an e-mail to Jimmy Spurs, but I don't know if he does that kind of work.  

H.K., you don't have to send it off to anyone.  Open the side plates and compare the Lever Side Springs to standard Uberti as well as the Main Spring.  You should be able to change out the side springs for Slix Springs and there are a couple of sources for reduced Main Springs.  Contact Shotgun Boogie.

PS:  You may also want to check in with Pioneer Gunworks for reduced power Main Springs and perhaps even a coil spring conversion.  Just a thought.

I like the light mainspring that Slick McClade offered and now by Long Hunter. I've tried all of the other variations (coils, mousetrap) and the lightened leaf springs are the best.

I have one of these, .22, and I put all lighter springs in it. Works fine. And yes, they do need a little stiffer mainspring for the rimfire, but not the truck spring. One can do most of the work and some smoothing. I did a lot of research and you can not short stroke them. Hope this helps a bit.

3 hours ago, Preacherman said:

I have one of these, .22, and I put all lighter springs in it. Works fine. And yes, they do need a little stiffer mainspring for the rimfire, but not the truck spring. One can do most of the work and some smoothing. I did a lot of research and you can not short stroke them. Hope this helps a bit.

It does.   Not interested in short stroking.   I just want to not have to fight with it.  :)

My "ideal" way to "tune" a modern replica, is to have it be a similar as possible to my real Winchester 73.   (I consider the 66 and Henry to basically be the same thing.)  I actually handled a 73 in .22 once, and found its action to be no different from mine in .32-20.  I've always regretted not buying that gun...

H.K.,

With the exception of the Miroku, ALL of the Uberti built modern Toggle Link Replicas ARE the same internally.  I have, However, never been inside a Uberti toggle Link .22.  The spring changes should be quite simple.  Don't quote me.

Springs and internals are the same, but the .22 bolt and carrier are quite different than usual. 

Archived