SASS Wire Forum

Camper shopping

Chief Rick

I'm rigging my Cargo trailer to carry my Honda Shadow Spirt 1,100 Bike , 2,500 Inverter gen and Gun cart, to tow behind my class "C" Motorhome .

Park at the shoot, still got wheels to go for supplies or just to see some country ...

Jabez Cowboy 

If it were just me - a cargo trailer with a real mattress, a porta-potty and an A/C would be an easy decision.

But, it's not just me (and that's not a bad thing).

I realize that the Mallard has some bad reviews but then so do most of the others.  An Airstream is not in my future.

Looking at what is currently available in my area the Mallard checks more boxes than any of the others, to include campers that cost more.

I try not to overthink things.

We looked at all sorts of 5th wheels, when we knew we would be spending 3 weeks or more at a time in a rig.

We looked at the New ones...as well as used at some big name lots.

Never want to have a second mortgage to afford a trailer.

We did go to our local, family owned lot...and found my perfect fit.

Shanley liked it to.

Open floor plan, older (about 10 yrs).

Color scheme...the whole thing.

Price was $16.900

Trade in with the 23' tounge pull, and $10k...and we drove it home the next day.

That was 6 years ago.

Had to replace a crank case, a lifter leg and now maybe a bit of the floor in kitchen.

It has been a great buy. No regrets.

Bought the 20' tounge pull a year ago.

It is 5 yrs old...but been in storage 4 of those years.

Has a couch slide, so fits my need. Bought for a weekender or hunting rig.

Again, great buy. $7.500

In fact, we are headed out in it tomorrow night!!!

I did not look up specs (other than towing info) or any yelp or discussions on them.

I looked, walked through, around, and back in again. Sat in several areas...imagined certain wall hangings, ect.

I liked them, I bought them.

I sure hope you get what you enjoy. We enjoyed our first one 12 yrs.

12 yrs of a tub with Shanley, a tub with Singin' and a tub with boots, that came out and pushed under the rig to have room inside. Little inconvienences...that were liveable.

100_0062.JPG

Capture+_2019-09-13-20-32-59.png

0912201713.jpg

My 2 cents…do with it what you will :)

Having had a 36’ bumper pull toy hauler with a Ford F-250 diesel and a 36 foot class A gas ford V-10; hands down I would take a class A or C any day on one condition…it was small enough to break camp easy or I have a tow behind vehicle.

It’s crazy but in 2015/16 I bought a brand new Georgetown With 2 bathrooms, 5 tvs, washer dryer combo, bunk beds, granite counter, full size residential fridge, and a 4k generator for LESS than many High end SUVs cost.  My price was 96,500 out the door after some negotiation.  Put some money down and fiananced the rest for less than a car payment because you can spread it out 15-20 years and enjoy it and deduct the interest.  We had young kids so yes, it was vacation money and instead of one trip per year we paid on the MH.  Completely worth it, had to sell it when we moved to WA but 3 years later I got all but 15k back.

im sure inflation has changed all that, but anyway the trip in the MH is so much less work and so much more fun.  The drive is enjoyable instead of everyone crammed in the truck, bathroom is there to use…tvs for the kids to watch etc, fridge for all their snacks and mine too.  Far easier to drive, super simple to back up, towing an 18’ truck being a MH was a million times easier than pulling the 36’ trailer.  Tired?  Pull into Any Cabelas or Walmart, no set up needed and go to bed.  Pull into your campsite, back up one time with your handy back up side and rear cameras, hit your auto level jacks and put out the slides and you are camping!

if we did it again it would be a smaller A or C that we could park in two regular car spots so it could be taken anywhere.   Leave it fully stocked inside, just load clothes and groceries and it’s so easy….It reminds me of a salesman showing us a tandem kayak…he joked and said they call them divorce machines…the truck and trailer combo put us on the stress level of a tandem kayak apparently lol

We are not at the point in our lives where we can take off more than a couple weeks at a time and won't be for several more years. We also don't have kids at home and the grand-baby is not quite 2-years old.

We are still both looking, together and separately, at other options that are available but nothing is attracting our attention.

One thing for sure, I remember now how much this decision involves compromises: length, weight, open floor area, sitting area, bed  size, closets/drawers, etc.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

We are not at the point in our lives where we can take off more than a couple weeks at a time and won't be for several more years. We also don't have kids at home and the grand-baby is not quite 2-years old.

We are still both looking, together and separately, at other options that are available but nothing is attracting our attention.

One thing for sure, I remember now how much this decision involves compromises: length, weight, open floor area, sitting area, bed  size, closets/drawers, etc.

If it ain't 'glowing' or singing ' take me home'...it ain't for you!

Added note:

What is this word compromise???

I don't know what it means.:ph34r:

If money was no object I'd absolutely have a Prevost coach, a 5th-wheel toy hauler with a Sport Chassis built 4x4 International CV-series truck, a Black Series HQ21 bumper-pull camper and a Turtleback trailer with roof-top tent!  A rig for every adventure and each one screams TAKE ME HOME.:lol:

But living on a budget and being responsible...

I need to stick with something that my current truck won't have a problem pulling and that has enough amenities for the wife and I.  Maybe in 10 years we'll be shopping for something else and our wants and needs will be different.

36 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

If money was no object I'd absolutely have a Prevost coach, a 5th-wheel toy hauler with a Sport Chassis built 4x4 International CV-series truck, a Black Series HQ21 bumper-pull camper and a Turtleback trailer with roof-top tent!  A rig for every adventure and each one screams TAKE ME HOME.:lol:

But living on a budget and being responsible...

I need to stick with something that my current truck won't have a problem pulling and that has enough amenities for the wife and I.  Maybe in 10 years we'll be shopping for something else and our wants and needs will be different.

That is the right choice! We waited the 12 years before moving up.

I traded my truck in on the Motorhome as the only reason we needed the truck was the camper for the most part.  So the “monthly” cost for the MH was less than the truck and I bought a 5,000 rig to commute to work…saved a ton in gas money too.      

Total cost of a new truck and a camper can get over the price of a MH, especially now.  

best of luck in your search!  Keep in mind for future grand kid soccer matches or tail gating how fun and easy the MH is…you can take a trip anywhere with minimal planning.  It really does change things.

On 11/23/2021 at 2:53 PM, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Check with RV Insider for their reviews. Here is their review of Mallard:

Heartland Mallard reviews

Liveability
Overall quality
Floorplan
Driving/towing
Factory warranty

Those numbers would have me looking elsewhere.

After further inspection of the two trailers on site, I am not comfortable with the quality of the Heartland Mallard. I discovered damage to the interior walls of both. Also, the walls felt thinner, or at least had substantially more give than I liked.

Now looking at a Forest River Rockwood Geo-Pro 19FBS. It's more expensive and it has a slide. The shower is also smaller and it doesn't have as much storage (cabinets or drawers). It is pre-rigged for solar and has a 190W panel on the roof with an outlet to hook up additional panels. It also had an exterior shower. The build quality is noticeably better than the Heartland.

I thought the following was interesting.

This picture is of the roof of Heartland Mallard.

Heartland Mallard Roof.jfif

This picture is of the Geo-Pro roof.

GEOPRO Roof.jfif

The Geo-Pro is noticeably cleaner looking, has a more pronounced "bow" and felt more stable when walking on it.

Edit to add - I couldn't figure out how to insert the pics in the post...

Archived