SASS Wire Forum

Let your hair do the talking!

In my younger days, I worked at a garage until 7 - 8 pm. I would walk home (about 1/2 mile) since I did not have a license yet, take a shower and then go downtown (another 1/2 mile walk). It was a very small town. Anyway, in the winter, my hair would freeze as it was still wet from the shower though it did not freeze as creatively as those shown in the link above.:D

I don’t believe that I have ever had frozen hair but I have had a frozen beard and mustache on a few occasions. 

I used to get a kick out of people’s reactions when I would ride my motorcycle on 20 degree mornings and walk into a convenience store. The cold emanating from me would literally clear a path for me to the coffee pots. :lol:

I got enough of frozen parts from running the sea wall around Iwakuni Marine Airplane Fun Park in winter.  We'd bundle up and wrap towels around our faces to protect them from freezing and run the perimeter of the runway, about 6 1/2 mile IIRC.  There was always my Gunnery Sergeant and me and most times we'd have six or seven runners.

There were times when we got back to the barracks and had to get in a warm shower to thaw the cloth off.  I've seen leather gloves crack and break and the towels crumble like potato chips.  it was miserable to the nth degree, but we were in great physical shape.I

'm glad I only spent one winter there.  I couldn't imagine being in a colder place.....and I was raised in northern Utah where we had 10 months of Winter and two months way late in the Fall every year.  (The high school marching bad was fun.  Have you ever had a mouthpiece on your instrument freeze to your lip?)

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I got enough of frozen parts from running the sea wall around Iwakuni Marine Airplane Fun Park in winter.  We'd bundle up and wrap towels around our faces to protect them from freezing and run the perimeter of the runway, about 6 1/2 mile IIRC.  There was always my Gunnery Sergeant and me and most times we'd have six or seven runners.

There were times when we got back to the barracks and had to get in a warm shower to thaw the cloth off.  I've seen leather gloves crack and break and the towels crumble like potato chips.  it was miserable to the nth degree, but we were in great physical shape.I

'm glad I only spent one winter there.  I couldn't imagine being in a colder place.....and I was raised in northern Utah where we had 10 months of Winter and two months way late in the Fall every year.  (The high school marching bad was fun.  Have you ever had a mouthpiece on your instrument freeze to your lip?)

Uncle Sam sent me to Fort Ripley Minnesota for Cold Weather training before a pleasure cruise to Norway. The WARMEST weather report I heard was  -35. I was REAL glad we were only there for two weeks. 

Archived