SASS Wire Forum

Alzheimer's and LOVE

Yeah.  My mother died from Alzheimers after seven years of suffering....and then not suffering because her entire being ceased to be there...and them is simply gone.  My 34 year old daughter gave her grandma a picture to hang on her wall.  Mom told my sister "I don't like that woman.  I talk to her and she never says anything to me."  Broke my little girl's heart.

Of all the diseases on this world Alzheimers is the worst.  It slowly takes away everything the person was, so slowly that they are terrified at first and then  just aren't in there anymore.  It destroys their mind, their humanity, their dignity, and finally their life....and during this period it destroys their families'  and friend's relations with one another, interferes with the the lives of everyone around them and can leave then financially ruined, and feeling guilty and feeling they "could have done more".  Many have had their faith challenged and become very reclusive because no one else seems to understand what they are going through.

My daughter and my sister have classic PTSD symptoms, but that isn't recognized, either.

It's a four square, star-studded, diamond-crusted, and gold-plated evil sonfabitch. 

I didn't cry when Mom died and people have asked me why and accused me of being uncaring.  I didn't cry because Mom died five years earlier.  God took her away and just left the machine running until it stopped.

RIP, Mom.  We all still love you.  

Give Dad a hug for us, too.

My former supervisor at Pantex, Ed Perry, went to the nursing home every day at 10:00 A.M. for seven years and sat with his wife and had lunch and dinner with her and stayed until visiting hours were over. She didn't know who he was, but she had been a good wife to him and he was a good husband to her.

I came home to care for my father's mother...untill she had to be put in a home, for her saftey.

(She was an exstremely active gal)

Dad continued to go see her. I could not.

One day he came by and told me had just come from Momo and giggled when the nurse asked her if she knew who he was.

Momo answered " yes, that is my daughter"

I asked dad if that bothered him. He said "No. At least I am in the family."

He also said "She may not remember who I am...but I do remember who she is."

Amen to the First Post !!!

My mother-in- Law and I had a super relationship, my wife sometimes says that she loved Me more than her ....

And often didn't know who people were, the day she passed she knew who I was for a Time ...

I miss her every day.

God  Bless 

Jabez Cowboy

Archived