SASS Wire Forum

Whatsit?

Fella does a "wall-hanger restoration" of a barn-find long gun.  Interesting project, keeping in mind that it will never be fired.

The title is "Old Rifle Restoration."  But it appears to be a bolt-action Mauser inspired single-shot shotgun.

Any ideas as to what it might actually be?  :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Fella does a "wall-hanger restoration" of a barn-find long gun.  Interesting project, keeping in mind that it will never be fired.

The title is "Old Rifle Restoration."  But it appears to be a bolt-action Mauser inspired single-shot shotgun.

Any ideas as to what it might actually be?  :rolleyes:

Used to be able to get something similar from Montgomery Ward or Western Auto.  Never saw one in anything but .410.  I have no clue what the make was, though.

I believe that after WWI the Germans converted many Mausers to single shot shotguns in an attempt to get a little foreign currency to help pay their war reparations.  

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Used to be able to get something similar from Montgomery Ward or Western Auto.  Never saw one in anything but .410.  I have no clue what the make was, though.

Didn't Stevens make both of those?  Or maybe Harrington and Richardson.

I don't remember.  I've never been into single shot cartridge rifle or shotguns, and very few pistols, usually pocket pistols, so I didn't pay much attention.  Seems Mossberg made a few for ducks and geese, but I wouldn't bet a cent on my memory about that.

When I posted this last night I also forwarded a copy to my old pard, Half-Breed Pete.

Here's his response:

Great refurbish job.  I was trying to get a fix on what action this is. The receiver looks to be early to mid Mauser, maybe a M1881 to 1889. It has a split bridge as in the '81 but a bolt sleeve as found in a '89-'96.  The cocking piece looked to be attached to the firing pin via threads as found on a '89.

This gun could have been one of the original Frankenmausers with parts from different models.  And then there are the custom modifications such as the screwed on bolt guide and large hole in the receiver ring. I couldn't see the bolt face that well, but it appeared that some sort of insert was missing. 

Could this "rifle" actually be a single shot shotgun?  I didn't see a magazine box and the large hole in the receiver ring may have been to stick your knife in and dislodge the shell. But when the guy cleaned the barrel it appeared to be a rifle bore.  Whady'a think it it is?

P

I could not see any sign of rifling, but I did not re-watch the video in its entirety.  I think it's a shotgun - although likely did not start life as such.

Archived