SASS Wire Forum

Walking sticks

I am trying to get my worn out body in shape for another go at hunting in Africa.  Part of my plan is a walking trail that I have carved out on my property, another part is to use the many trails in the Cherokee National Forrest.  I wanted a walking stick to help with my balance.  I already have several, but none are the combination of length, weight and balance that I want.  I have found a stick, made by Boyd's, that is made from the same laminate that they use for gunstocks.  Their sticks are the right size and weight, and the laminate makes a very attractive pattern. I will be trying it out in the National Forrest tomorrow, weather permitting.

Duffield

Good luck. 

I have a walking stick that appears to be made of some form of resin (?) and is make to resemble a tree limb.  Nice weight and balance with a leather loop for my hand.  I enjoy it a lot.

Most hikers prefer to use a pair of telescoping aluminium hiking sticks. I picked up two pairs at Walmart for around $20 each and they've been my go-tos on dozens of hikes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Aluminum-Adjustable-Quick-Lock-Trekking-Poles-Cork-Grip-2-pack/700250552

I like a staff.  Mine is Persimon, chosen for me by a Native American friend of mine.  It accompanied me on my first trip to the Medicine Wheel in Wyoming and to many a SASS match.  It has spent some time, retired in my gun room, but I’m thinking it may find itself in my hand again for a while, assisting me in my rehab and recovery from the most recent foot surgery.

Archived