SASS Wire Forum

FOUND, THANKS! WTB non-SASS OU SG for trap and skeet

I thought I would ask here before I search elsewhere.

I am looking for a 12 gauge Over Under SG that I can use for skeet and trap shooting at my local club. I've had fun using my Cowboy 97, but I'd like something more suitable for shooting clays. I want to find something suitable for skeet that I can screw a choke into to use it for trap. Even better if it has a short LOP as I'm only 5 feet tall.

I'm thinking about buying a CZ Teal which is on sale right now at Cabela's. What do y'all have hidden in the back of your safe that's better??

I am in East Tennessee. FTF in East to middle TN, western NC, upstate SC, eastern KY, western VA or even northern GA would be fabulous, but it's not a deal breaker.

I have a benelli 828u 12 gauge over/under with 30 inch barrel.  I bought for my 2 son's to use on the school's shotgun team.  My 11 year old did fine with it at a match .  My 15 year old hated it because he wanted to use the beretta so he bad mouthed it to the point the 11 year old said he didn't like it.  

They complained it recoiled a lot.  I fired 25 rounds at clays and didn't notice any recoil.   

If you have a GA address we can do ftf.  If not I can ship it.   Comes with multiple chokes, many that extend past the barrel .  Also has a weight I put on the barrel that unscrews off.  

I paid $2,800 fired about 500 or so rounds so I'll take $2,500 shipped.  

Two different set ups if you want guns for those games.

A skeet gun is 26-28", open skeet chokes and a medium comb.

A trap gun is 30-32", full chokes and a high comb.  Tend to be heavier.

A field gun with removable chokes can be used for both but is not optimal.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I paid $2,800 fired about 500 or so rounds so I'll take $2,500 shipped

That sounds like a fabulous gun, but it's a little out of my price range for something just to play around with.

48 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Two different set ups if you want guns for those games.

A skeet gun is 26-28", open skeet chokes and a medium comb.

A trap gun is 30-32", full chokes and a high comb.  Tend to be heavier.

A field gun with removable chokes can be used for both but is not optimal.

I know it's not optimal to try to have one gun for both games. But I just want something a little better than my Cowboy 97 to play around with on the range.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:16 PM, Trigger Mike said:

The school shotgun team coaches recommend just one gun for skeet, trap and sporting clays.  One of the shooters competes for prize money with his one 34 inch barrelled gun.  Sometimes 10,000 Dollars.  

That's so awesome that kids have opportunities like that!!

Thanks y'all for all your comments, PMs and offers 

A very kind and knowledgeable cowboy took time to PM me and suggested a Yildiz Sporting HPS 12 sold at Academy Sports. I went to Bass Pro first and looked at their shotguns from the CZ Teal to the most expensive Benelli. Then I went to Academy and the Yildiz looked and felt as good as the mid range guns, has really good reviews and is less expensive. I believe this is all the gun I need for some fun at the range shooting at clays so I went home with it. If I ever get serious about it, I'll upgrade.

• Fox Creek Stitcher changed the title to FOUND, THANKS! WTB non-SASS OU SG for trap and skeet
11 hours ago, Cumberland Mtn John SASS#40593 said:

Hey there,  I'm glad my good friend Duffield could help you out on your quest.

CMJ

I should have known he was a friend of yours!!! You have helped me innumerable times and now you're helping me by proxy through your friends!!!! 

Yildiz will serve you adequately for a low to mid volume shooting.  it has a lot of features and looks great, very ergonomic.... their service department is great, they will fix it, if not too fast, turn around is usually few weeks...

one problem with all turkish O/U is that mechanically they are not very durable - firing pins, springs, safeties, etc... tend to break much sooner than a "B" gun - Berretta or Browning...  I would suggest to have a few spares.

I shoot 150-200 rounds of trap every week, so I went with a browning gun that so far never let me down...  but for that price you can buy 2 turkish guns and have a backup

enjoy it!

Archived