SASS Wire Forum

To lube or not to lube

Tennessee williams

On 8/3/2021 at 10:40 PM, Tennessee williams said:

How many of you lube your side by side chambers and how many run it dry during a match? Do you feel one way or the other helps you shuck your shells easier? If you lube, do you do it between every stage?

Just doing some research and running some numbers... 

I chamber-check my shotshells when I load them on my belt at every stage with a 6 hole EGW checker. I run a 12ga wire brush in just the chambers with a short rod, & then I wrap a 3x3 cotton patch on the wire brush & hit the chambers with that - every stage. No lube on anything. That gives me close to 100% no-shuck problems. I've tried silicone spray, Ballistol, & BreakFree in the past. None of those worked as well as my present procedure.

If you do use a lube during the match, you can use one of the flavors of grip dry to get the slickum off your hands.

I just use a bronze brush between stages shooting BP/subs. For me the best way was to take out shells that had a failed crimp or were scorched. Worked pretty good.

Once, just for fun, I put powdered graphite on a mop on a drill and ran that through the chambers. Worked really good on smokeless shells, never tried it with BP.

It just added a step and I got lazy.

I typically wipe my shells down with PAM after loading. The alcohol and peroxide evaporate and the Murphy's leaves a thin dry film on the shells. I also have a brush and a bore mop with Ballistol on it that I run through the chamber before each stage. I have to park my cart near the loading table cause now 3 others are using the brush and mop before they shoot.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:56 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

Just keep the chambers clean.  I do use Armor All on the shells, that really does help them come out.  But chambers are dry and clean.

Lubes are a place for grit to stick to.  In my experience, that causes problems in the chambers.

This has been my process for over twenty years. Armor All works very well.

J.M.

Archived