SASS Wire Forum

My tribute to Ace of Hearts

Shooting Bull

Anyone that's ever dealt with Ace of Hearts (Richard Metz) knows he had very strong opinions.  He defended his opinions vigorously.  In doing so he ruffled a few feathers, mine included.  In tribute to him I'd like to look back at my dealings with him and learn from them.

1:  Quite often people deal with someone that has strong opinions and think that person is just a jerk.  While Ace's delivery sometimes left a lot to be desired his opinions and defense of them stemmed from his love of SASS and the people in it.  His heart was always in the right place. LESSON: Before judging a person based on their opinion, take a moment to think about why they have that opinion.

2:  This stems from #1: As I noted, Ace ruffled a few feathers during his years in SASS.  But most everybody came to realize what I mentioned, his heart was always in the right place.  I'm so very happy he and I were friends.  I honestly believe he felt the same way so I have no regrets.  Can you say that about the important people in your life?  LESSON: Don't wait for tomorrow to say what needs to be said today. You might not get the chance.

3:   The unofficial SASS motto is "Come for the shooting, stay for the people". Ace's heart being in the right place meant he tried to be one of those SASS people you stay for.  If you were ever lucky enough to be on a posse with him you know his jokes were corny and he was a terrible singer but he darn sure had fun.  And he wanted those around him to have fun too.  LESSON:  Be one of the people that makes SASS so much fun.

Thanks for the lessons Ace.  You'll be missed. 

I never met him or shot with him.  My loss.  I valued his posts in this forum.

Thanks for your comments.

This is a great tribute Shooting Bull. 

I have spent alot of time with Ace over the last year and I have learned a few lessons of my own. I also made a good friend along the way. I would like to believe that I gave him the same in return. 

The one thing that is for sure, Ace loved this game and everything thing about it.

He will be missed

He would attend my RO Class at the Western Regional. He always had good comments and pertinent examples that were helpful to everyone. 

Snakebite

Archived