SASS Wire Forum

WTB .45-60 Dies

Hi pards,  I have a new lever gun I bought on an impulse from watching Crossfire Trail to many times, I have lots of .45-70 brass to cut down to 1.89, but I need some reloading dies to finish the loading. I have a set on back order but hell who knows when that order will be filled. So any brand will work for me. 

Thanks guys.

M.G. Shagnasty

If you already have 45-70 dies...or if 45-70 dies are more readily available...

I had a machinist mill off the shell holder end of my RCBS seat/crimp die so it would crimp 45-60 cartridges properly.  I don't recall the exact amount he removed, but that set of dies now works for 45-70 and 45-60.

4 hours ago, Jackalope said:

If you already have 45-70 dies...or if 45-70 dies are more readily available...

I had a machinist mill off the shell holder end of my RCBS seat/crimp die so it would crimp 45-60 cartridges properly.  I don't recall the exact amount he removed, but that set of dies now works for 45-70 and 45-60.

Thanks, I have heard of that, but not sure the amount to remove, I do remember watching a video awhile back that the guy did just that, I will have to try to find lt.

11 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

45-70 will work. The 45-60 is a Bottle Neck case thou.

The 45-60 is indeed a straight walled case.  You may be thinking of the 45-75, another cartridge chambered in the 1876 Winchester.

992745492_.45-60Winchester.jpg.1714bbdb308b75a6f4a789755ba94b9e.jpg

If your resizing die makes them into a bottle neck case, you need a different resizing die.

I'll bet those cartridges have straight walls after firing, don't they?

To quote Mike Venturino, the 45-60 when sized in the proper dies come out with a slight bottleneck shape. 

And original factory loads also show that configuration. As do mine.

45-70 dies will work by trimming the dies. 

I like to have the correct dies. 

Archived