SASS Wire Forum

Dinner

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Just got home from dinner at a great little Mexican restaurant.  JJJ and Deja stopped by and we just decided, spur of the moment, to go.  Had a great time.  If any of you feel your ears burning it's because were were talking about you.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just got home from dinner at a great little Mexican restaurant.  JJJ and Deja stopped by and we just decided, spur of the moment, to go.  Had a great time.  If any of you feel your ears burning it's because were were talking about you.

Our little town has two Toco Bells, and sometimes three Mexican restaurant,  if you don't count a Cuban cafe down town that's only open at lunch and caters to the intellectuals in our community. 

I say sometimes three Mexican restaurants because there is one that has been in business maybe 20 years.  Then there are others that come and go - staying open six months to a year.  One just opened up right next door to the steady business one about a year ago.  Closed up now.  Another virus victim, I suspect.  

We eat there occasionally and more likely brought home takeout.  But being close to home we are more likely to just eat at home. 

The big draw is that they serve alcohol.  There seems to be at least one booth of women enjoying a pitcher of loud mouth soup with their rosy cheeks and cackling.  More dignified to get pie-faced in a restaurant before the kids get home from school. :lol:

I lived in southern California for forty years before the Great Escape.  Used to have a lot of very good Mexican places, but it got to where every time any business went under or moved a generic "Mexican" place would open up.  Many would close after a few months and reopen with a new name, but the same menu and staff.

Taco Bell and Dell Taco are okay if you're in a hurry but they are about as real Mexican food as Chef Boyardi is Italian.

I find it strange that this was the case n SoCal, but here in northern Arizona , with a very small percentage of Hispanics and a total population of the four cities area of maybe a quarter million, we have a dozen pretty good Mexican food places from walk -ins to full blown restaurants with real cloth napkins, fine tableware, and all the trimmings.

Hey Forty which restaurant was it, Casa Perez, Plaza Bonita, Lindo Mexicano, or one here in PV that I haven't tried yet?

Bonita on Spouse just east of Robert Road on the north side of the street, maybe 150 yards from Steve's (which is a good place for breakfast but has almost no parking).

Went to Casa Perez in Dewey this afternoon.  I've liked the one in PV in the Frys parking lot.  Same owner, same food, but the Dewey store is better inside.

I'd sure like to get The Grumpy Lunch Bunch (do a web search) rolling up here, but so far haven't been able to get much interest going.  The original in SoCal had up to sixty members and for Old Scouts memorial lunch 42 showed up at the original place, the Iron Skillet in Ontario.

Access to good Mexican food is a feature of having lived in the SF Bay Area for 66 years.   I seemed that almost all serve Michoacan, Jalisco or Tex-Mex cuisine.  In 1999 I made couple of trips to Rosarito Beach & enjoyed a fish, shrimp & chicken stew prepared & served in a molcajete.  The dish included prickly pear cactus.  I have never found such a dish in any other Mexican Restaurant in Rosarito Beach, PV, Cabo, Cancun or Northern CA or Northern NV.  At one time I was watching a PBS cooking program that featured a Mexican American  Chicago restauranture.  She prepared the dish & stated it was regional to Mexico City.  My quest to find a restaurant in N. CA & N. NV has been harder than trying to find a pizzeria that serves NY style thin crust.  Quite by accident I viewed a movie at the multiplex cinema at the Legends shopping center in Sparks NV.  Where I parked I had to walk by a Grimaldi's to get to the theater lobby.

P.S. Having gone to SF China Town many many times as a child & adult to eat I always thought it was pretty large.  That was until visiting NYC.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:32 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Bonita on Spouse just east of Robert Road on the north side of the street, maybe 150 yards from Steve's (which is a good place for breakfast but has almost no parking).

Went to Casa Perez in Dewey this afternoon.  I've liked the one in PV in the Frys parking lot.  Same owner, same food, but the Dewey store is better inside.

Barb and I have dined at both Plaza Bonita and Casa Perez here in PV. I like Casa Perez, Barb likes Plaza Bonita. We have not tried the Casa Perez in Dewey yet, got to give them a try soon since we both love Mexican cuisine.

31 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Barb and I have dined at both Plaza Bonita and Casa Perez here in PV. I like Casa Perez, Barb likes Plaza Bonita. We have not tried the Casa Perez in Dewey yet, got to give them a try soon since we both love Mexican cuisine.

I like the Perez in Dewey a bit better. Same food, same great service, same prices, but it is a bit more closed and personal.  Better feel to it.

They are doing just dandy.  Out running around the country off road, kayaking, working on their house and yard, going to get food with me once in awhile, not shooting much (I didn't ask why), and simply brightening up our already bright state.

Archived