SASS Wire Forum

A Bad Spring in East Fork

DocWard

Swinging down from Bud, Keller pointed at the two riders with Captain Burcher, "Which of you two has the fastest horse?" Both grinned and the shorter of the two jerked his thumb in the direction of his partner, a tall gaunt looking man with a square jaw. "I reckon Hal has one of the fastest horses I ever seen." Hal didn't reply, but for a nod. Keller pointed in the direction of Doc Ward's place. "Bout two miles or so thataway. You'll see the road after the first mile. Call to the house before you enter the yard, Doc, his wife and hand are a might touchy these days. Tell 'em Keller sent you, we got a woman in labor, and ask he and Abigail to get here on the double." Hal sprinted for his horse, and was on it and off. Watching, Keller thought to himself they weren't joking, that horse moved out like nobody's business."

Doc had gone out after making sure Abigail was OK to unsaddle the bay when he heard hooves, Stepping to the side of the barn out of sight, he drew his revolver, confident his wife had the shotgun in the house. " 'Lo the House! Fella named Keller sent me. Got a woman in a wagon fixin' to give birth, and a wounded man in the back! He said to grab the two of you and bring you along if'n you're able."

Doc stepped out as he heard the bar come away from the door and Abigail stepped out, shotgun still in hand, looking his way. Doc started to speak before she interrupted, as though reading his mind, "Saddle another horse, I'll get some things and be out in a moment. Be right with you, Mister." With that she turned on her heel and went back in to get everything she could think of and quickly change.

By the time Doc had the second horse, a smaller chestnut, saddled and led out along with the bay, Abigail was walking out with a carpet bag full of items she might need. Still wearing her blouse, but changed into a pair of zouave style trousers, she climbed into the saddle astride the chestnut and passed off the bag to Doc, who was already in the saddle and waiting. Hal led the way back to the wagon at a quick pace.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trio approached the wagon, hearing the screaming of a woman. Abigail kicked the chestnut to a gallop, her riding skills on display as she reined the horse to a stop and was off in a moment. Shooing the men away, Abigail knelt, and tied a kerchief in her hair to keep it back. Dropping to her knees, she spoke soothingly to the young lady, the mother to be, as she lay on a blanket in the grass.

Doc and Hal caught up quickly, and Abigail asked for a sheet for the young woman's modesty, and for someone to get a fire going and some water warmed. There was a flurry of activity, as she took charge, moving to kneel between the young woman's legs, draping the sheet in place. Glancing up, Abigail asked, "What's your name, dear?" Crying out through a contraction, the young woman gasped for air after before replying, "Maury.... Maureen... People call me Maury though..." Abigail nodded, "OK, Maury, I'm going to need you to bear down here soon, are you up to it? Linn, I need you to hold her hand. She's going to squeeze hard. Ben, have that blanket ready for the baby."

Maury looked around, asking, "My husband, he's in the wagon... He's hurt bad... Please... Check on him?" Abigail kept trying to calm the young woman, "We will. Hal, is it? Can you check, just make sure he is there and alright, then stay with him. We don't want to worry Maury." Hal went to the back of the wagon to see a young man, dirty and bloodied, breathing heavy, ragged breaths. The man lifted his head, "Maury? Oh, God, don't hurt my wife, I beg you." Hal lifted a hand inside to pat the man's leg, "We're not, she's going to give birth, we have a woman here to help." The man let his head fall, looking up at the inside of the canvas covering, "Oh, thank God." 

John approached the ranch from a different direction than he had used leaving. Calling out to the house, “Hello Mrs. Ward it’s John.” After a bit as he received no reply, John dismounted, stepped up to the back porch and called again. Still no reply. This was strange, Doc had gone off to town and Abigail was home alone. The hair on his neck began to bristle.

Grasping the butt of his pistol, standing to the side he tried the door. It was not barred and opened easily. “Hello Mrs Ward, are you alright?” He called. Silence! Holding his gun along his leg, John stepped into the kitchen. Moving as quietly as he could, he checked the house. Empty, but not disturbed, hopefully everything was alright. Moving out to the yard in front of the barn he began to read the sign. A horse rode up from the range very fast and stopped. No one dismounted then it turned and left followed by two other horses. John recognized Doc’s horse’s shoe prints. So someone came up and must have talked to Doc then they left going back where the stranger had come from. It was a good chance the third horse was carrying Abigail. John had seen small boot prints leave the back porch. That was likely her. Must be some sort of trouble. The stranger didn’t dismount, that meant they likely left in a hurry.

‘Well I’m a hand on this ranch and the boss and his lady are off to trouble. I’d better check it out and see if I can help,’ thought John. Picking up the pace to match what he saw in the tracks John headed over the rise. After about 15 minutes John spotted a wagon with a good number of men standing around. He recognized Doc and Linn, but the other three fellows, or was that four? Looked like there was one down on the ground. Anyway everyone seemed to be sociable.

There was a fire going with a large pot hanging from the tripod. As he approached John hollered, “Hello the fire can I get a cup of coffee?” Doc replied “Hello John, I see you figured out something was up. Glad you could make it here.” “Well boss, I figured you all left the house in a hurry so there was likely some pressing issue to drag Mrs Ward away like that. Is she alright?” “She is fine,” said Doc, “This couple was traveling through when the lady went into labor. Her husband laying over there has been injured and couldn’t drive the wagon any further. Fortunately these three men happened on them, then Linn showed up and sent for Abby to help. Let me introduce you, gentlemen this is John Calder my ranch hand. John this is Captain Burcher a friend of Linn’s and two of his men, Hal and Curly.” “Hello fellows pleased to meet you,” smiled John. “Is there anything I can do boss?”

Doc thought a minute, “If you would take Hal back to the barn there is a large wall tent, a bag of spikes and frame for it in the loft. We may not be moving this wagon right away and these folks could use a little more shelter until the baby is ready to travel. Also, look in the cold room and find a ham, 6 or 8 potatoes and a couple of onions. They are a little short on supplies, especially with all this company.” John said, “Sure thing, we’ll be back in two shakes of a lambs tail.”

I reckon I was as pale as I felt.

Captain Burcher sauntered back from the wagon, went to one knee beside me, laid a hand on my shoulder.

"You all right, Yankee?" he said softly, so only I could hear.

I closed my eyes and swallowed hard, nodded.

I was down on my Prayer Bones squarely above the laboring mother's head, I had both her hands in mine, I'd been talking to her, keeping her looking at me, least until she drove her heels into the dirt and throwed her head back and come up off the ground and screamed like her guts was bein' hooked out with a red hot poker.

I've heard women scream like that and that long drawn out shreik hazed my vision, it genuinely did, and I could see burnin' houses and bloodied men and a woman packin' a dead child out of a burnin' house and she went to her knees and threw her head back and I taken a hard grip on that memory and drove it down into an iron kettle and screwed the lid down tight on it, I had to stay here, I could not let that damned memory grab me and rip me away again and that poor woman's hands was in mine and she squeezed hard as any man has ever gripped me and more and her face was red and she was white around the lips and her fore head was beaded up with sweat and the Captain's hand was firm on my shoulder and he near to whispered "Steady on, man, you have to stay strong for her," and I nodded and the woman kind of collapsed down on the ground and her grip relaxed a little which is kind of like sayin' I had a hundred pound anvil on my foot and now it only weighed ninety pound.

I looked up at Abigail and she kind of flicked her eyes up at me as if to say "Damn you, don't you dare pass out on me!" and her lips was set when she give me that look, and then she grabbed a towel from somewhere -- women are wonderful creatures, I reckon she might have a whole field kitchen, tent and all, in that-there carpet bag -- she kind of held it up and then she looked up again but only far enough to look at the woman's face and she said just calm as anything, "Mother, you water has broken," just as if she was saying the sky is blue or the biscuits are done.

I swallowed again and I looked down and winked and said "Won't be long now," and the woman a-layin' on the ground kind of squeaked "Thank you," and then she just plainly CRUSHED my hands ag'in and this time she r'ared up backwards like a drawn bow and let out a scream that shivered the granite mountain itself and that shivering voice drilled through my ears and seized my soul and squeezed it like you'd wring out a wet dish rag and I looked up and Abigail bent down and she was doin' somethin' and she had a quiet satisfied smile about her and I seen somethin' wrinkled and greyish purple and just plain ugly and it looked like a tiny little hand and Abigail she picked it up and turned it over and it looked like a baby only 'twas all the wrong color and Captain Burcher's hands they gripped both my shoulders and that woman was cryin' and sayin' "My baby, my baby," and I gritted my teeth and hoped I didn't have no broken hand bones and things got kind of sparkly and hazy and I heard Abigail say somethin' about a boy and I went over backwards colder'n a foundered flounder.

Captain James Burcher, late of the Confederacy and now a rancher and landowner, looked down at the white faced man laying on his back.

"I watched him face Confederate bayonets and never flinch," he murmured, "and when he was a lawman he faced up to and faced down some big and nasty sorts and didn't even hesitate."  

The Captain came easily to his feet, grinned at Doc.

"Reckon that fella in the wagon could use some good news."

It seemed a collective sigh of relief was exhaled at the sound of the baby's cry. As he made his presence known to the world, his color pinked up, and Abigail did her best to clean out his mouth and nose before very carefully swaddled him. Leaving the umbilicus free, she had Doc put him into Maureen's arms as she awaited the placenta. Maureen cried as she held her son. Looking over at Keller, on his back and out cold, she couldn't help but giggle slightly before looking up at Doc, "Tell my husband? Tell Frank we have a son?" Nodding, Doc started to call out to Hal, who motioned him over to the wagon. Patting her shoulder, Doc said, "I'll go tell him myself."

Rising to walk over to the wagon, Doc saw the concern on Hal's face. "Fella ain't doin' so good in there. Since you're a doctor, I thought you might need to take a look." Doc shook his head, "I'm not a doctor, I was a medical steward during the war, but I know a bit. Let me take a look."  Looking inside, Doc decided he and Hal needed to pull the man out and lay him on the ground. As gently as possible, with the quiet help of Burcher and Curly, the four men eased Frank to the ground, outside sight of his wife.

Looking the man over, Doc saw a large lump on Frank's head under a cut that had bled profusely leaving his hair matted, blood on the man's shirt and trousers, along with blood and powder burns and a hole in the side of his shirt. Looking up, his eyes a little glassy and his face gaunt and pale, the man asked, "Maureen? is she OK?" Doc patted him on his shoulder, "Congratulations, you're the father of a son. Now let's have a look at you." Carefully examining the man, Doc looked up at the others. "Feels like he has a few broken ribs, but don't appear to have punctured anything. Got burned good by a bullet that missed at close range. Not sure what gave him that knot." Frank, his voice quiet, responded, "Horse. Fellas on horses came after us. Four, five... Not sure. Before I could get my rifle... knocked me down. Tried to trample me. One went to shoot me when another fella shot him, making him miss. Chased all of 'em off. Big fella. Rough looking. Had a scar over one eye. Helped Maureen get me in wagon and rode off. Never said a word."

Doc leaned back and pushed his hat back on his head. "We're gonna need to wrap those ribs, and you're going to be laid up for awhile. Don't know if you or your wife are up to moving any further. I have a tent, if you're OK with that." The man closed his eyes, nodding, tears rolling down his cheeks. "Thank you, we're blessed you found us."

Doc looked up as the Captain went to Linn's mule.

"I thought so," he heard the man mutter as the Captain reached in and retrieved a flat glass bottle containing something amber colored.

Doc's hands were firm on the binder as he snugged it steadily around the wounded man's chest, carefully stabilizing broken ribs: his jaw tightened a little at the injured man's grimace, at the pained hiss from between clenched teeth.

"I know it hurts."  His voice was quiet, understanding

Another two ounces of pull, another ounce, just right:  he'd perfected his touch in wartime, and after: men broke ribs from gun butts in battle, from falling on rocks or falling off a roof, from getting pounded in a knock down drag out street brawl and getting thrown from horses:  binding up a man's chest was something he was good at.

"Breathe with your belly, son. This'll keep your ribs from movin'."

The Captain went down on one knee, carefully decanted a small volume of liquid sledgehammer into a tin cup:  he looked at Doc, raised an eyebrow: Doc nodded and the Captain eased his hand under the injured man's blood-sticky head.

"Take a sip," he rumbled, "just a sip, now.  Good for what ails ye."

"Now damn if you don't sound like Linn," Doc grunted as the injured man's teeth clicked against the tin cup.

"That's good for now."  The Captain eased the bloodied man's head back down.  "Reckon his wife might take a snort?"

"You'd better ask Abigail," Doc cautioned.

The Captain nodded, picked up a wet rag, wiped most of the blood off his hand, frowned.  "I'd better clean this off, I don't want to scare her."

"My wife?"

It was little more than a wheeze, and the man's hand lifted a little.

"She's as lovely as ever and she's doing just fine."

There was the barest nod, and then he closed his eyes and the tension eased from his face.

"He'll rest now. He'll ache for some time and once he's healed up, he'll know when it's about to rain."

The Captain extended the bottle to Doc, who shook his head:  both men smiled, just a little, and the Captain went over and squatted beside Abigail.  Doc saw him ask her something, saw the bottle lift a fraction; he saw his wife shake her head, just a little, but with that gentle smile that still melted his scarred heart.

I smelled wood smoke and stew, I smelled Indian tobacco and whiskey.

I felt someone near -- I swam back to reality, swam up from a deep, dark pool, took a breath, took another, opened my eyes.

"Now damn if that don't look like my bottle," I heard my voice say, and I set up, shaking my head and leaning forward a little.

I scraped up what few thoughts I had and looked around and then everything fell back to where it was supposed to be and Abigail looked over at me and then she didn't so much rise as she kind of floated upright, the way a graceful woman will, and she went over to where one of the Captain's men was stirring whatever smelled really good in that cook pot.

"Like a snort?" a familiar voice asked, and I looked and damn if Captain Burcher warn't squatted down beside me holdin' my bottle and a tin cup, he didn't quite have a grin on his face but he was right close to it, and he poured some of my Kentucky into my tin mug and offered it to me.

Hell, I thought, if he's going to be hospitable, I'll not turn him down.

Even if it is my whiskey he's offerin' me.   

I've traveled a great distance to follow up on a lead I was given by a good friend and fellow Texas Ranger, Rye Miles. Ever heard of him?” Kit inquired.
UB replied “Can't say that I have, although we don't get many visitors around these here parts. Life is simple, which is how we like it. Makes my job much easier. So you're a Texas Ranger?”
That I am”, Kit replied, almost as if he was ashamed of the title.
You see, after my wife and son were killed two years ago, I swore I would catch the four men who did it and make them pay dearly with their lives. As a man seeking revenge, I swore I would hunt them down and kill every one of them. As a man of the cloth, my oath to GOD would never allow such vile retribution. My only hope then would be somewhere in the middle, so I joined the Texas Rangers. This way I could get the justice I sought and let God's will be done.”
We'll I'll be danged”, UB responded with a surprised look on his face. “You're the second Texas Ranger that's arrived in town this week! Know of a John Caulder?
Kit quickly stood up from his chair almost knocking it over and with a Cheshire grin on his face, replied, “That Old Desert Rat! Why we go back as far as Tarrant, Arizona when the Brett Black gang were causing trouble. What's he doing in town?
Seems he's got business just like you, tracking down another bad hombre”, UB responded. “He's hooked up with Slim Dawkins, an undercover Pinkerton detective, but let us keep that between just you and me for now. Now who is this fella you're hunting.”
Kit's face turned to scornful when he replied, “His name is Frank J. Milt, but he goes by the nickname "Flapjack". He’s as nasty as they come and would just as soon shoot you in the back then to face you squarely like a man.

UB now sitting back in his chair, leaning precariously far enough to make one think he would merely fall on the floor, until his chair rested ever so slightly against the back wall, “So what can I do to help?”

Have there been any strangers around town that you’re not familiar with?

There’s the Hammond bunch outside of town. Mr. Hammond seems to have a knack for hiring anyone that will do his bidding for a price.” UB replied. “You say there were four men?” he continued.

Kit settling back into his chair, taking a swig of his coffee, prepared to fill the Sheriff in on his task to date. “Yes, there were four men involved; however, only one is left to be taken care of.

UB quickly pulled himself back into an upright position, setting his coffee cup on his desk and placing both hands flat on the table, giving Kit an inquisitive look. Kit could tell he wanted details.

Once John and Hal returned with the needed supplies, they began to erect the tent. “Hal have you ever put one of these contraptions up? I have no idea what goes where,” said John. “Yeah,” replied Hal, “I was Captain Burcher’s orderly during the late war. Curly and I rode with the Captain through the entire conflict. We’re you involved?” “No,” sighed John, “I was too young. My father and I were fishermen in Connecticut. Dad owned a small boat, we sailed out of Mystic harbor. As the war was nearing the end, we got caught out by a freak storm and swamped. My father was never seen again, I was washed up on shore half dead. Eventually I decided to come west and stay on dry land.”

“Eventually, as in it took you a while to figure the sea wasn’t for you?” queried Hal. “Huh, I guess you could say that,” replied John. At first I felt that small boats weren’t exactly my cup of tea, so I shipped on a whaler for a two year stint. When the ship returned to Mystic I took my ‘shares’ and headed west. I’ve been banging around this side of the Mississippi for a while now.”

In town, ‘Slim’ Dawkins was reclined in a rocking chair on the porch of the boardinghouse. He watched a stranger coming down the road from under his hat which was pulled down over his eyes. Using all of his self control he remained still as ‘Lefty Frezzel’ passed on into town. Slim knew he’d need to contact the other Pinkerton Agents in town and organize an arrest if possible. He hadn’t told ‘Cactus Jack,’ that is John Calder of the other agent’s presence out of old habit to ‘play everything close to his vest’. Now to find Willy and Pete the ‘prospectors’ who just happened to be Pinks themselves. Maybe I aught to let the Town Marshall know? Nah, Utah Bob was a nice fellow but he probably followed the rules a little to much for Slim’s taste. First capture Frezzel then let the law know. Yup, that was the ticket. Now where would Willy and Pete be hanging out? The saloon of course, and Frezzel would probably be there also. Things are coming together. I hope!

Taking his time Slim approached the saloon. There was the horse Frezzel had been riding tied at the rail. Slim moved around to the back of the saloon and entered the barroom. “I’ll have another beer Barney,” he said, just loud enough to be heard by the next man at the bar. No use in making yourself obvious and attract unwanted attention. Just appear as if you’re coming back from the little house to make room for one more. Willy and Pete were deep in a poker game with two other men in the back corner. Pete looked up and scratched his left ear. That was the high sign, they had seen Frezzel. The saloon was too crowded to try and take him, better to wait and watch for now.

Slim waved Barney over and asked “You got any pickled eggs today?” Barney reached back behind himself and retrieved a large glass jar of eggs. He walked over to Slim and said, “You are always eating these cackle berries, it’s amazing you ain’t growled feathers.” Once Barney was close Slim whispered “You got that scattergun loaded?” As Barney struggled to unscrew the jar lid he whispered “Yeah, what’re you up to now?” “You see that big fellow with the missing eyebrow? He’s wanted in 3-4 states for murder. Me and old Pete and Willy are going to arrest him.” “Not in here,” said Barney. “If things go bad there’s too many people will get hurt.” “I know,” replied Slim, we’ll wait until he leaves, but I want your scattergun as soon as he’s out the door.” “Okay, here’s your eggs, now let me get back to business so’s it don’t look strange,” whispered Barney.

After three hours, Frezzel had nursed two beers for all they were worth. He finally stepped back from the bar, looked around as if to see who might be taking notice and turned for the door. Pete threw down his poker hand and said “Dang, I can’t win nothing tonight.” Frezzel reached the door and instead of passing through turned to see what was said. Just them Barney was lifting his gun to pass it to Slim. Frezzel palmed his pistol and hollered, “BARKEEP DROP THAT GUN NOW!” Barney dropped the scattergun on the floor behind the bar. Pete and Willy began to rise and claw for their guns. Their legs got tangled with the poker table. Frezzel’s .44 boomed and Pete took one in the left shoulder. Willy hit the floor along with the other poker players. Slim dove behind the bar after the scattergun. As he rose to shoot, Frezzel was gone. Rushing to the doorway and diving under the bat wings, he saw Frezzel galloping down the street. The distance was already too far to make a shot effective even if there hadn’t been half a dozen people moving into the street to see what was happening. “Dang, he got away and now he knows someone’s after him,” mumbled Slim as he climbed to his feet. “I better see to Pete,” he continued to mumble.

Hal rode back, gesturing over his shoulder with a thumb, "He'll be along directly." Climbing down, he went to the fire and got a cup of coffee from the pot that been put on. Doc and the rest talked for a few, waiting. Hearing the sound of a wagon approaching, they turned to watch as Calder drove his buckboard up, his own horse tied to the back, and the tent and supplies in the back. Taking a look around, Burcher pointed to a spot near the fire they had going and watched as Calder pulled past the spot, so the items could be unloaded.

Dragging the canvas from the wagon, along with poles, Hal and Calder began setting up the tent, talking as they did. When Doc walked over from the back of the wagon and tending to the man inside, Calder gave a tilt of his head toward the couple's wagon. "How is he? He say what happened to him?" Doc took his hat off and ran his fingers through his hair before replying. "Unless I missed something, he should survive. Broken ribs, but I couldn't see any sign of internal injury. Hurts like a dickens for him to get a breath, but not coughing up anything. I'd say he has a bit of a brain injury as well, but nothing to severe. He's aware of what is going on, and able to talk, but eyes look a bit glassy and he is slow to answer.

"As to what happened, he says back down the trail they were jumped by four men. One hit him with his horse and knocked him rolling, then turned around and came back to trample him. Another was about to shoot him when a fella rode up and shot him out of his saddle and came charging in, ran off the others. Strange thing is, both he and his wife said the fella never said a word, but was big and strong, helped her put him in the back of the wagon, then rode off." Calder tilted his head and gave a quizzical look. "Saved the two of 'em from four, and then just left. Peculiar. Never said a word at all?" Doc shook his head. "Nope. They just said he was a big, strong rough lookin' fella, with a nasty scar over one eye."

At Doc's description, Calder, who had been kneeling, pounding a tent peg in, stood straight up. "Rough looking with a scar over one eye? Did they say which eye?" Doc frowned and shook his head, "Afraid not, why?" Calder paused in thought for a moment. "Doc, that sounds like the man I'm hunting. He's suspected of murder in three states, though. He doesn't seem to be the type to help folks out, if you know what I mean. I'd be more likely to believe he attacked them himself." Doc's surprise at the revelation was genuine. Shaking his head, Doc replied, "They're a pretty devout couple. Maureen, the wife, said he was like a savior to them. Of course, there's no telling what will cause some men to do the things they do." Calder shook his head, trying to make sense of the news. "Couldn't be the same guy. I find it hard to believe."

Captain Burcher picked up on Calder’s statement, "Doc, that sounds like the man I’m hunting.” He strolled over to the tent and asked, “Mr Calder would you kindly accompany me?” Moving up the slope away from the fire he turned, eyed John and asked, “You are hunting someone? Are you a bounty hunter or something?” John answered with a look of chagrin, “Well, it seems to be getting pretty well known around here. I’m a Texas Ranger, sent by Governor John Ireland himself to arrest a man wanted for three murders in Texas. I was supposed to remain anonymous until I succeeded in the capture. However, I’ve been recognized by a couple of locals and a Pinkerton man who is here after the same man. Your friend Mr Keller, Doc and his wife know of my mission. In fact Doc has given me a job as a ranch hand as cover for my being in the area.”

Burcher replied with a frown, “I see, hmm, doesn’t that put Doc and Abby in danger?” John said, “We’ll, so far it’s the three of them the Pink and now you who know. I was hoping to wander around quietly working the open range as if scouting for Doc’s cattle. Now it seems the ‘open range’ isn’t so open, as Hammond is trying to claim it all and according to Linn you already own it! Kind of looks like it might get lively around here. If that fellow is here at Hammond’s request I might get my chance to grab him.”

Burcher laughed softly, “Yeah, it could get lively I expect. We’ll see how this Hammond fellow reacts to being told to get his cows off my land. If he refuses my men and I will move them. I’ve got more than Hal and Curly to help me.” Nodding John said, “From what I’m hearing in town you will need more. It seems Hammond has a few men that don’t know a cow from a bull. I doubt they are learning the cow business.” “Yes, I heard about the little altercation in town yesterday. That’s five less men Hammond has to raise a ruckus,” replied Burcher. “I understand you and a local layabout took a hand. I appreciate that my friend Linn and Doc weren’t hung out to dry.” “Heh heh,” laughed John, “That layabout is the Pink, he says he’s ‘undercover,’ I guess that is what I am also. Although my cover isn’t doing so well as four people have figured out what I’m about. As to helping Doc and Linn, the odds were stacked against them and I didn’t like the rough look of those five. They were looking for an advantage to shade Doc and Linn, not really to avenge their saddle pards. It looked like a setup from the get go.”

Kit took a long pause, more for effect than it was to aggravate his host, as he could see UB was chomping at the bit for details of how he had disposed of three criminals single handed. So as to not hold him in limbo any longer, Kit proceeded to delve into his story.

"I had followed their trail for some time until they eventually split up. A single set of tracks headed due north whilst the other tracks headed straight to Tarrant, Arizona. Being familiar with the Arizona territory, I set my sights in that direction. When I arrived in town, I found out that the Brett Black gang were causing trouble and soon a posse was formed to go after them. When they returned, it was then that I was told that one of the two men I was after had been killed by a Rye Miles. Story is that Rye shooting from horseback with his trusty 73 nailed my guy in the head while he was filling his canteen from the creek. The other man escaped, although leaving wounded after having been shot in the leg. Before leaving town, that was when Rye informed me that upon searching him, he found a telegraph message in his coat pocket from a Mr. Hammond who was seeking hired guns to assist in his protection against the citizens of Stone Creek. That was why I was headed for Stone Creek. No surprise to me, but apparently the town folk there were having their own trouble. I never made it to town as I perceived my assistance was not going to be needed. Word spread quickly though the County that they put up a grand attack on the Hammond ranch. Tales, the stuff of dime novels, were being told of the stand the citizens of Stone Creek took to rescue the hostages.
Two in particular caught my attention.
A man they call Doc had gutted a man with his dagger during the fight. His tenasity and will to take on anyone who got in the way of his immediate task was a testament to his character. The man he killed was one of those I was following."

Kit could see UBs eyes grow large as if he had seen a ghost, his mouth yearning to say something very important, yet not wanting to interrupt the story.
Kit continued.

"The second gentleman was some sort of preacher, I believe his name was Keller. He took out another of the men I was after as well. He used his Sharps rifle to take him out just as another was preparing to shoot at him."

UB couldn't contain himself any longer as he rose from his chair, let loose a huge belly laugh and loudly announced,  "Both those fellows live right here in East Fork!"

It was now Kit's turn to appear surprised.

UB continued, "They are two of the best friends I have ever had. Not only would they give you the shirt off their back, they'd defend your honor as well."

"I can see that, based on the stories I've heard", Kit replied. "I'd sure like to meet them and thank them for their help in taking down those two men."

"I'm sorry, but they both are out of town at the moment." UB responded. "Why don't you settle in and I'll come and get you when they arrive back in town."

"I think I'll do that Sheriff," Kit replied.

"Please, call me UB."

"Alright, UB. I saw the livery earlier while scoping out your town, so I think I'll stop by and get my horse taken care of first, then head over to the diner for a hot meal."

"Check in with Shorty, the blacksmith at the livery, he's a good simple, uncomplicated man. He'll do you right. Tell him I sent you."

"I'll do that Sheriff, I mean UB. Appreciate your attention to my situation."

With that, Kit stood up, shook UBs outstretched hand, put his hat back on, spun around and headed out of the Sheriff's Office.
Once outside, he grabbed Orion's reins, foot in stirrup, and glided into the saddle.
A slight pull of the reins and they were headed south to the livery.

Abigail tended to mother and baby, making both as comfortable as possible as the men finished the tent setup. The men had had pulled items out of the wagon to make the couple more comfortable in the tent, then carefully moved Frank in and helped him lay down. They then helped with Maureen, getting her inside and giving the couple some privacy as Frank began streaming tears at the sight of his wife and son.

Abby went to the fire to begin working on food for everyone. As Doc came over to see if she needed any help, she shook her head, "No, I think you need to go back to our place and gather some things so I can stay here for a few days." Doc stood looking at her in surprise, "You...?" Standing, she looked at Doc, her face showing her mind was set, "Yes, me. Who else? I can tend to Maureen and the baby better than anyone, and you can spin by and check on Frank as necessary. Bring me the shotgun to be safe." Doc started to object when his wife gave him one of those looks, and he knew that arguing the matter would just make him unhappy, and she would still end up staying.

As Keller and the others joined them at the fire for food, she told them of her plan. Captain Burcher started to object, but a quick snap, an extended finger and a sharp look, caused him to glance at Doc Ward, who shook his head. Burcher muttered something about "redheads..." as he took his plate and went to find a spot to eat. Standing with Keller, Burcher looked over his cup, "Is your friend going to let his wife stay out here?" Linn smiled and let out a short laugh. "Let? Well, I suppose he could shake out a loop and throw it around her, tie her up and haul her back to their place. But I don't want to be in the territory when she gets set free." Burcher glanced over at Abby, diminutive, but graceful with an air of confidence about her as she tended to the food. Looking back at Keller, he lifted an eyebrow. Hal and Curly joined the two men as Keller laughed a little.

Keller pushed back his hat and leaned an elbow against the wagon wheel. Gesturing with his cup toward Abby, he began, "Let me tell you a bit about Doc and his wife." Gesturing to Burcher with his cup, Keller continued, "You'll like Doc. He's a Kentucky boy..." Before Burcher could respond, Keller added, "Went to college in Ohio, then wore Union Blue during the war. Artillery, then for surgeons later as a steward." Burcher gave a short huff as Keller grinned. "Came out West, fought Indians some with the Army, and married Abby here. The two went back East but decided the West was for them.

"On the trip back, they're group was attacked by renegades. Talked to a couple of the survivors from that group. Each said that she was in the thick of the fighting, handling a Spencer like she was born to it. Doc got his nickname patching up folks after. We met down South aways, and became friends before he told me about this territory and we moved up here. Had a ruckus down there, and Doc... Well, Doc is my friend, and I would trust him with my life. I've seen him fight though, with gun, knife and bare hands. He can handle himself. I saw him take on a guy down thataway twice his size that said some things about Abigail. I thought Doc was going to kill him. I've fought alongside him, and I've watched him. He can be... Methodical, treating battle as a job to be done, and he's a craftsman. But there are times, when his temper gets up... Like when he fought that big guy... And It's like something goes off inside him, and he goes from being an easy goin' sort to... Well, to needing to destroy. You can see it in his eyes."

Keller took a drink of his coffee, then gestured toward Abby, "Abby's Scottish. Of a clan, I mean. And I swear that she wants to be a lady, but when that gaelic blood gets up, she fights for the joy of battle. She's fierce, and she's independent. And I, for one, would not want to be the man who told her she could not do something, and I guarantee she will put up a fight to be remembered if someone crosses her."

Burcher looked at Abby again, the eyes of Hal and Curly following. Next to her stood her husband, as they talked of her needs, smiling and looking very much the happily married couple they were. Burcher shrugged, then grinned. "Be that as it may, I don't see any reason why the three of us shouldn't set up camp nearby. I own plenty of land here, but I don't have anyplace to put my hat." Keller nodded and grinned. "They'll both see through it, but neither will argue, and I know it would make Doc feel better."

Now on the one hand I'm like an old b'ar.

Get my belly full and get warm and I'm asleep.

On t'other hand the War never left me and I sleep on a hair trigger.

We taken turns with the watch and when a hand laid on my shoulder my eyes come open and I was wide awake on that moment.

Quiet it was, and cool: the fire was banked, a little smoke rising from it, not much; I pulled on moccasins, as I wished to make as little noise with my tread as I could -- I half expected to hear a sentry's brogans coming around his assigned watch area with all the stealth of a milk cow in a field of tin cans.

I made a mental note of who-all was bunked where.

Coffee goes through a man and if he's called to get rid of some second hand coffee, why, I'd no wish for a careless sentry to send lead his direction, and women have to answer that call too: the Captain, to his credit, dug a latrine down wind and where it wouldn't foul our water (now ain't that just fancy, we got us a genuine latrine! part of my mind sneered, but the old soldier in me appreciated it, and at the same time, I realized it was a weak spot: I'd not wish to disturb a man at his constitutional, that might be where a thinking enemy might try to infiltrate --

Stop it.

You're not a soldier anymore.

You quit preachin' back in Stone Creek because you couldn't set that damned war aside.

No, not the war ... you couldn't stand that your wife was dead and everywhere you looked you saw her.

I near to recht up and slapped myself, for my mind would not quit runnin', it would not quit pointin' accusin' fingers at myself, and I finally shoved the hull mess aside and listened to the night.

I traveled from shadow to rock to tree like a ghost, listening with more than my ears, seeing with more than my eyes.

I walked my sentry's path with as much clatter and noise as a cloud passing overhead.

Finally, when I checked my watch and 'twas time to lay a hand on another still figure's shoulder, when another watchful soul assumed the watch, I was able to lay down and close my eyes ag'in, at once satisfied and uncomfortable that absolutely positively nothing happened.

Just before I relaxed and started to swim in the dark lake of slumber, I realized the voices that deviled me all night, were gone.

Once the men had the tent erected with Maureen, Frank and the baby inside, Abby approached John. “John, I’m going to be staying here with the Hendersons for a few days. I am asking you to be extra vigilant at the ranch. It is obvious that Hammond has designs on our land and it appears he isn’t intending to buy us out. Ben will need all the help he can get. Linn Keller is a good friend and I know he would do most anything for us,  but he does have his own spread to care for.” “Mam, I will do my best for you and Doc. I know Frank is in rough shape, but don’t you think everyone would be safer at your ranch?” replied John with a grin. “I’ve already discussed it with Ben, the decision is made,” answered Abby. “And, I thought I told you to call me Abby.” “Yes Mam, um, I mean Abby,” John said. “I’ll be watchful.” “John, I didn’t mean to snap at you. You have already been very helpful and considerate. You came looking for us when Ben and I were gone without explanation, I appreciate that. There is one thing I wanted to ask you, it’s about your name. The name Calder is one I’ve heard before.”

‘Ut Oh, thought John, here it comes.’ “I am Scottish by birth,” continued Abby. “I’ve heard that name from my folks as one of the Clans from their homeland.” ‘Whew,  thought John, that’s not where I figured this was going.’ With a big smile John replied, “While I was born and raised in Connecticut, I am a pure blooded Highland Scot.” “It’s good to know your of Highland stock,” replied Abby. “We Highlanders are known for our loyalty and tenacity.”

Mean while back in town, Marshall Utah Bob was sitting In his office thinking about what Kit had told him. ‘It seemed that trouble was gathering around East Fork. There were disturbing reports of hard and dangerous men arriving in the area, mostly at the request of Mr Hammond. This could develop into a range war, a bad business all around.’ Just then there was the sound of a gunshot. One report and then a galloping horse headed out of town. UB grabbed his hat and a shotgun checked his pistol and went to the door. Not wishing to be a target, UB eased the door open from the side. Once sure no one was waiting to shoot he stepped out to survey the town. Seeing Slim Dawkins on the boardwalk in front of the saloon with shotgun in hand UB headed that way. Dawkins drew back into the saloon as UB arrived saying “I’ve got to check on old Pete. He’s been shot.” Pushing through the bat wing doors UB saw Pete being lifted up into a chair with a bloody shoulder. “What happened here?” Hollered the Marshall. Slim replied, “A fellow shot Pete and left in a hurry. He is a killer named ‘Lefty Frezzel” wanted in 2 or 3 states. Pete, Willy and I are Pinkerton Agents charged with apprehending him. As Barney was passing me his shotgun Frezzel pulled his gun. Pete and Willy were trying to draw when he shot Pete and ducked out the door. By the time I got the shotgun and made it to the door he was halfway down the street with a dozen citizens gawking and in the way of any shot I might take. So I let him ride.”

Eyeing the bartender UB asked, “Is that the way you saw it Barney?” “Yup,” said Barney, “Slim here asked me to pass him the bar gun and as I was raising it up that feller pointed his pistol at me and told me to drop it, so I did. Then Willy and Pete began to draw and he shot Pete in the shoulder. He appeared cool as ice when he fired, then he was gone as quick as a jackrabbit. Slim grabbed the shotgun and run to the door but that feller must have been gone cus Slim didn’t fire after him.” “Okay,” said Bob, “You three Pinkerton's get him patched up and report to my office. I’m going to ride out a short ways to see which way that fellow went. If I’m not back by the time you arrive you wait right there. I don’t want you wandering around shooting up my town. You got it?” Bob asked as he fixed a gimlet eye on Slim. “We’ll be there,” replied Slim sheepishly.

Calamity had just closed her shop for the day.  She put in a few extra hours to get some customer pieces done like Abby's dress and a hat for Mrs. Fletcher.  She had just locked the door when she heard the shot ring out.  "Dang it.  Bad news has returned" she muttered under her breath.  I had better start carrying my pistol with me full time now, and check the guns I have in the shop, just in case, she thought as she looked around the street.  She didn't see anything out of the ordinary but she could hear the muttering of a gathering crowd around the corner.  I think I'll just tend to my own business tonight and let things be.  I'm sure I'll hear all about it tomorrow she thought as she briskly walked to the livery to gather her horse Sable and ride towards home.  Yes I had better be sure I have my pistol tomorrow.  It could get really interesting around here, she mused.

Chester-cat was as warm and friendly as he'd ever been.

When the stranger came into the barn, splashing coal oil on the hay, Chester stood up and stretched, then began washing a paw, coldly ignoring the intruder.

When this stranger looked at Chester, perched at collar bone level on a shelf, he hesitated, then reached up to pet the kitty.

His partner opened his mouth -- what he intended to say, is now forever lost -- Chester wrapped himself around the extended hand, digging with all four claws and sinking sharp feline fangs into the web of his hand.

A yell, a turn, he tried to sling this black spawn of Satan off his hand:  he shook, he turned, he dropped the can of coal oil:  Chester chose the moment to release his claws, using the momentum to sail across the barn, and more by accident than design, found he'd landed on the second man's thigh.

Feline claws are fast, sharp and effective: a yowl, a screech, the first man swatted at this digging fiend that really wasn't doing much damage through the trouser material, but the surprise and proximity to some valuable real estate prompted his panic.

His voice raised a full octave when the bullet blasted through his thigh, just missing Chester's black nose:  at the sound, the cat jumped, dove into some loose straw, disappeared:  the first man, gripping his Colt with a bloody, stinging hand, opened his mouth in horror as he realized the shot he'd intended for the cat, just hit his partner.

Jack heard men's screams, a gunshot, a yowl: something came out of the barn -- it looked like a man, one hand gripping the other wrist, then something dark flowed from beside the barn door and swarmed over him, and Cactus Jack Calder, Texas Ranger and warrior, a hard man who'd seen death in many forms, froze with shock as a mountain cat bit through the back of the screaming man's head, cutting the voice off like puffing out a kerosene lamp's flame.

Cat and man fell:  the man, without so much as a twitch:  the cat released its death-bite, sniffed at the carcass, then turned and dug its hind feet, contemptuously throwing mud and dirt onto the unmoving carcass.

The cat  turned to glare at Jack, ears laid back and flat against the tan skull -- its jaws opened and Jack heard it hiss like an angry teakettle -- then the tan mountain cat flowed like leaping water -- two long jumps -- 

Gone.

Cactus Jack Calder felt like someone just poured a dipper of water down his back bone.

He shook off the cold shiver, stared after where the cat had gone, reasoning that it would likely not return.

He rode up to the barn, went inside: his gut tightened as he smelled coal oil, as he looked and saw the oily stain on hay and on straw.

No fire, he thought.

Something spooked them.

Another cat?

There was the tiniest rustle of straw and Jack looked across the barn at something black, something with kitty cat's ears that poked up from a pile of loose straw.

Just a cat, he thought.  That couldn't be what made 'em yell.

Something pushed up against the straw beside the cat, swelling the dried stems like a whale pushing water as it surfaced:  a black and white dog emerged, shook, touched noses with the black barn cat:  the dog looked at Jack, grinned, wagged its curved, white-tipped tail.

"Dog in the house," Jack reasoned, "means no big cats in the house."

He took a step, hit something with his boot: he bent down, picked up the can, frowned.

"They meant to burn Linn out."

Jack looked toward the open door and saw the dead man's bloodied hand.

He stepped closer, took a better look, then turned and looked at the black barn cat.

"Did you do that?" he asked aloud.

Chester-cat proceeded to wash himself about the paws and the ears, and it looked to Jack as if the cat looked ... smug.

As John was saddling his horse to return with Doc, Linn walked over and asked, “John, would you mind stopping by my place on your way? I’m staying here with Captain Burcher to catch up. I have a dog named ‘Sailor.’ He’s old and lazy, if you would see that he has water and food I’d appreciate it.” “Sure Linn, no problem,” said John. “I hope he’s friendly?” “He’ll be asleep in the barn most likely. If you have food he’ll love you like there’s no tomorrow. There’s a black cat too, but he pretty much looks out for himself. Just don’t try to pet him unless he approaches you. If he’s setting off by himself licking his paws and the like leave him be. Stick you hand out to him and he’ll try to eat it with everything he has, claws and teeth. Keeps the mice population down to a minimum,” grinned Linn.

“Okay, I’ll look in on them and see that they are alright,” said John. As John approached Linn’s barn he was shocked to see a mountain lion jump a wounded man and kill him. Then the cat disappeared, almost as if he were a ghost. Once he was sure the cat would not return, John cautiously entered the barn. He smelled coal oil in the hay and wood, figuring the dead man was attempting to burn Linn out. But the big cat came from outside the barn, why was the fellow bleeding and why did he rush out of the barn yowling? There was no fire, yet. Then he saw the black cat washing his paws. Looking at the cat he asked, “Did you do that?” The cat ignored him and continued to wash his paws. The dog, Sailor, appeared happy for the company.

When John searched the barn he found the empty oil can and then a dead man. He’d been shot in the thigh. The bullet must have cut his artery, as the blood was pooled under his leg. ‘Now what happened here? Did these two fellows have a falling out and that other man shoot this one? Who chewed up that man’s gun hand? Certainly it was too much damage for the black cat to inflict, wasn’t it? The dog seemed friendly and gentle, and his muzzle would have had blood on it if he’d attacked that fellow. Strange things were happening. Well at least Linn’s barn is safe for now.’ Searching around the area, John found the horses of the men who’d tried to burn the barn. He loaded them up, belly down, tying them securely . After seeing to Sailor’s needs he headed out towards Doc’s.

When John reached the ranch, Doc asked, “Well John, what have you got there?” “Apparently these two jaspers were trying to burn Linn’s barn. When I arrived that one with the bloody hand ran out of the barn like a devil was after him. Then the darnedest thing happened. A catamount jumped on his back and killed him. You can see the bite marks on his neck. The lion then just ran off, after letting me know he wasn’t happy to see me. I went inside the barn and found this other fellow bled out from a gunshot to his thigh. Looks like the first man shot him before he ran out of the barn. The strangest thing is his hand is chewed up pretty bad , but the catamount wasn’t in the barn, just the dog Sailor and the black barn cat. Sailor’s muzzle was clean as a whistle and he was gentle and friendly. I doubt he chewed that man’s hand like that. By the way do you recognize either of these men?”

“No” said Doc, “I’ve never seen them before. We’d better take them into town to the Marshall and report what you found.” “You sure you want to leave your place unguarded?” asked John. “I can take them in. I was thinking to swing by where Linn and Burcher are set up to see if they recognize either of these men.” “Okay,” responded Doc, “I’ll stay here and keep an eye out, you be careful, if there are men trying to burn Linn’s place there may be others wandering around looking to make trouble.” “Same goes for you Boss, if they’re after Keller’s spread they’ll be after your place too,” as John headed out leading the two grizzly loaded horses.

When he arrived at the Burcher camp John was greeted with concern. “I swung wide around the Hendersons’ tent so that they would not see this spectacle,” he said. “I didn’t want to alarm Abby or the Hendersons. Linn, I found these men at your place. The one with the chewed up hand ran out of the barn as I arrived. Then the darnedest thing happened, a catamount came around the corner of the barn and jumped on his back and killed him. You can see the bite marks on the back of his neck. I found the other fellow in the barn, bled out from a gunshot to the leg along with a coal oil can. The coal oil was spread through your straw. It looks like they were fixing to burn your barn. Do any of you recognize these fellows?”

Burcher and his men said they’d never seen them before. Linn said, “I believe the one with the leg wound rides for the Hammond spread.” “Well, I saw Doc at his place and let him know what I’d found. He didn’t recognize either one. He’s on the alert and I’m taking these men into 7town to report this to the Marshall. Are you staying here Linn? Your cat and dog are set for now.” “I guess I’d better go back to my place,” said Linn. Captain Burcher and his men are here for Abby and the Hendersons, if they need help. You’d better make the trip to town a short one, so that Doc isn’t alone. He’ll want to come back here to check on Abby soon.”

John rode down the street to the Marshall’s office. Tied off the two trailing horses and stepped up on the walk. Entering the office he said “Marshall, I’ve got a couple of dead men out here I need to report. Marshall Utah Bob looked up and asked, “Did you kill them?” “Well no I didn’t kill them,” replied John, “That’s kind of abrupt ain’t it? You asking did I kill them?” “Not really,” smiled Bob, “I know you are Cactus Jack Calder, a Texas Ranger and I figured they might have been the reason for your visit this far north.” “Huh, I guess there’s no pulling the wool over your eyes is there,” asked John. “I have my sources,”said the Marshall with a grin. “So who are these men you have outside? How did they end up dead and where did you find them?”

“I found these men at Linn Keller’s place. The one with the chewed up hand ran out of the barn as I arrived. Then the darnedest thing happened, a catamount came around the corner of the barn and jumped on his back and killed him. You will be able to see the bite marks on the back of his neck. I found the other fellow in the barn, bled out from a gunshot to the leg along with a coal oil can. The coal oil was spread through the straw like they were fixing to burn Keller’s barn. I figure the one the lion killed shot the other man, but why I don’t know. The only other animals there, were Keller’s dog and barn cat. The dog was clean, he didn’t chew up that man’s hand and the lion came from outside the barn. Near as I came figure, the barn cat wrecked that man’s hand. Linn told me not to try and pet the cat, good thing I didn’t I suppose.”

Just then the door burst open and in charged one of the Hammond sons. “Who murdered my men,” he yelled, “I want the man responsible, he’ll hang for this.” “Now settle down youngster,” cautioned the Marshall. “Mr. Calder here discovered these men dead out of town and was a good citizen and recovered their bodies for proper burial. You don’t need to be shouting  ‘murder’ when you don’t know what has happened.” Young Hammond shouted, “Anyone can see that Luke has been shot in the leg and bled out. Jim’s hand is chewed up like someone ran it through a coffee grinder and his neck is all torn up like someone took a pick to him. That sounds like murder to me! How do we know this man Calder discovered the bodies, maybe he is the murderer.” “You had better be putting a bridle on you mouth youngster,”  Bob hollered. “Mr. Calder is a man of impeccable reputation and a friend to the law. Wild accusations will only get you in trouble. When Mr. Calder found your hand, Jim, he saw mountain lion tracks all around the body.” Bob said with a hidden wink to John, “It is most likely that a lion killed this Jim fellow. A more important question is why were your two men spreading coal oil in the straw of Linn Keller’s barn and why would Jim shoot Luke in the leg and leave him to die in the barn? That is a mighty interesting question for the law to investigate. Especially after your father threatened to kill Doc Ward and Linn Keller in front of witnesses. Do you have any ideas why your hands were trying to burn Linn Keller’s barn?”

Doc Ward took a walk around the main yard of the ranch before going into the barn. Looking around, Doc decided to let the stalled horses out to pasture. Memories of a stable full of horses burning haunted him, and he was determined that it would never happen again in his presence if he could help it. Opening the stall with the big bay in it last, Doc put the gelding in the cross ties, then saddled him. Walking him out of the barn, Doc led him to the house, tying him before going inside to get a few things, including the shotgun and a rifle for Abby.

Riding off, Doc took a circuitous route, both to throw off anyone who might be watching, and to look for signs that others had been around. Heading to the campsite where Abby was caring for the Henderson's, with the help of Captain Burcher and his men, Doc kept a careful lookout, wary of trouble.

Approaching the camp, Doc saw Abby shielding her eyes as she watched him approach, while Hal did the same a bit further off. Once out of the saddle, Doc pulled his wife into a hug, before walking over to pull the two long guns out for her. "Just in case," was the only thing that needed to be said. Abby took them and set them inside the tent where they would be close at hand. Glancing inside the tent as Abby walked out, Doc asked, "How are your patients?" Abby gave a small shrug. "Maury should be up and about in a day or two. Frank seems to be more focused and alert. The knot on his head is somewhat smaller, but his ribs are still hurting him fearfully. He can barely get a breath without wincing in pain." Doc nodded, "I have him pretty well bound. Remind him to try to expand his belly when he breathes. It won't help a lot, but it will help." Abby nodded and went back inside the tent as Doc walked to the fire and got coffee.

Captain Burcher approached and held out his cup, and Doc filled it before setting the pot down on a grate over the fire. Burcher looked at him appraisingly. "Kentucky boy, huh?" Doc nodded, "Born and raised, Eastern part of the State, but only went back briefly after the war. Mother died during the war, and my pa passed shortly after I returned. Suppose I still own the land there, but nothing to keep me there. Abby and I like it out here, so here is where we are." Burcher nodded, "Keller told me you're a damn Yankee, but that's behind us now. If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to fight for the blue bellies?"

Doc sipped his coffee before answering, "Well, I was a Methodist..." Doc saw the curious expression on Burcher's face at the comment, but he didn't interrupt, so Doc continued, "Seems most of the Methodists I know of went the same way. Other than that, I had a grandfather fight in Lord Dunmore's War, then the Revolution, including at King's Mountain. I had other relatives fight in 1812, and against Mexico. Seems a lot of Ward blood went into building the country. Didn't figure I could look 'em in the eye if I didn't try to keep it built." Burcher nodded, his face showing grudging respect.

Finishing his coffee, Doc glanced over toward the tent. "Thanks for camping here. It is a relief to me." Burcher smiled, "Me and the boys couldn't see doing it any other way. That wife of yours has some backbone." Doc nodded, "That she does, and very intelligent, too. I need to go let her know I'm leaving, then get back over to the ranch."

Riding back toward the ranch by a different route than the one he left by, Doc circled in behind the house, seeing the horses, relaxed in the pasture. As he got closer, he heard a noise and pulled up, listening. He saw too late two men exiting the house, one of them saying to the other as they hurriedly got on their horses, "That money's got to be in there somewhere..." Lifting his Winchester, Doc opted not to shoot, being in the open as he was, the distance was enough that he wasn't sure he could drop both men without them returning fire. Instead, he looked closely at both men and the horses they rode, before hurrying on to check the house. Confident he would recognize the men again, he was positive he would recognize the horses.

Going inside, he saw a shambles. The two men clearly had looked high and low for the money, not caring about the contents, and leaving other valuable things behind in their hurry. A few items were broken, but nothing was destroyed that couldn't be replaced. Still, Doc found himself fighting down the fury inside him that made him want to give chase to the two men. Muttering to himself, "their time will come soon enough," Doc brought the saddlebags he still had the remaining money in inside, then set about cleaning the house and putting things back in place.

I was tired.

I was tired of knowing I was a target.

I was tired of knowing Doc and Abigail were targets, I was tired of knowing Hammond was intent on harm, I was tired of being aggravated.

Captain Burcher and his men stayed with the tent and the wounded, 

I rode out, a man intent on war.

I was outnumbered, the enemy had superior firepower, but I had two advantages the enemy did not.

I had surprise, and I had the callous determination that comes of a man that honestly does not give a good damn whether he lives, or whether he dies.

I stopped at my place and forked out everything that had coal oil throwed on it, and I just left this outside, let that coal oil rot or dry up or whatever it does, but I saved the empty can -- I am not a wasteful man -- hung it on a peg and then Bud and I went on towards town.

I knew where a man might watch to see who was coming, and sure enough there was a watcher, but there was only one.

Now Bud, he was steady and he was sleepy and he was in no hurry a'tall, but my Bud-mule had particular likes and I dismounted and whispered to him and spoke of things he liked and I draped the reins over the saddle horn and Bud, he plodded on towards town, for he had a notion he might bum some Flap Jacks.

I am not a stranger to sentry work nor to killing sentries and I was silent on moccasin leather and whilst Bud plodded down-trail with an empty saddle, this fella got curious and stood up to see this unusual sight, and when he did I drove into him from behind and introduced just shy of a foot of Green River steel to his tenderloins.

I was told once the Mexicans know knives like we know guns, and a Mexican one time taught me how to kill a man from behint, he favored a kidney thrust because it just plain detonated a sunball of utter blinding paralyzing lock-the-throat-shut agony and it killed them without their being able to voice a sound.

That's what I done here.

I hit him hard enough that knife drove right through the canvas coat he was a-wearin' and he collapsed and when he went down I ripped that blade free and fetched it out, my blood was up and murder sang in my soul and I grabbed him by the hair of the head and cut into his neck and his life's blood sprayed rich and red and hot and steaming and he died alone on the cold Montana mountainside.

I wiped my knife off on the tail of his shirt and slud it back into its sheepskin lined sheath and then I caught up with Bud-mule and we rode on into town, knowin' no one was goin' to set off the alarm that I was headed that-a-way.

This was war, and there is only one rule in war, and that is to win and it don't matter how.

My Nancy was dead, my soul was dead, if I ended up dead it was only right, I would answer for every life I took in that damned War and since that time and if God was merciful a'tall he'd let me see my dead wife one more time before He sent me to hell.

After I killed Hammond.

Young Hammond grew even redder than he had been while hollering ‘murder’ and began to stammer, “You -You’ve got no call to accuse me of knowing why those men were at the Keller place. In fact we only have this Calder fellow’s word they were there or how they died. I think you would take into account that my father is a major land owner in this county. We are respectable citizens,  as opposed to some no account drifter from who knows where,” he finished with a sneer. “Respectable you say?” Queried the Marshall. “Your father came here with a lot of cash and a cloud over his head. There may never be proof but most people around here have heard the stories of ‘irregular accounting of the Ohio State Militia funds’ during the late war. Your father claims the name Hammond, but there are those who remember a Henderson who absconded with those funds. And many people are looking for that Henderson.” Meanwhile John was biting his tongue to keep from speaking. The younger Hammond stomped out shouting over his shoulder, “My father will hear about this, your days as Marshall are numbered.”

After the door slammed, rattling the cell doors in back of the jail, John said, “Marshall I guess I haven’t told you everything you may need to know.” “Oh, have you left out something about the dead men outside?”  Asked Bob. “Nothing about that situation,” said John. It’s another incident that happened earlier, out on the open range.  Which incidentally isn’t as open as people believe.” “This sounds like a long story,” said Bob, “I’ll send ‘Digger over to take care of those men and then, how about we go over to the cafe and get some chow and you can fill me in?” “I guess I can spare that much time,” said John. “I don’t want to leave the boss, that is Doc, out at his place alone for long.” After they ordered their meal at the cafe John began, “First off Linn Keller got word to a man named Burcher, Captain Burcher, late of the Confederate Army, about Hammond claiming the land everyone thinks is open range. It turns out that this Burcher fellow owns that land, and there’s no dispute of title. Burcher is an old acquaintance of Keller’s. Seems they met in War. Now they are friendly, respected former enemies. So Burcher is here in the area to watch out for his interests. Anyway, Keller and Burcher run into each other out there and they found a couple of pilgrims in a wagon. The man is stove up from four or five riders trying to rob or kill the them. The lady was going into labor by the time Linn arrived. He sent one of Burcher’s men to get Doc and Abby as they were the closest spread. Abby helped the lady deliver her baby and is camped there so she can  care for those folks. Burcher and his men are camped out nearby to watch over them for now. Linn asked me to drop by his spread and see to his dog. That’s when I ran into the trouble at his barn, which you know about. Now I have to get back to Doc’s place. He will want to ride over and check on Abby and we think it would not be good to leave the place unguarded. Oh, Linn went back to his spread also.”

“The big news in all this is those pilgrims, they gave their name as ‘Henderson,’ the same name you mentioned when dressing down that young pup, Hammond. That is an interesting coincidence, except I don’t believe in coincidences. This is getting real interesting alright. So, I guess I’ll be seeing you later Marshall. I want you to know even though I’m out of my normal territory you can count on me if you need help to settle things down.” “Okay John thanks, and I’ll expect you to let me know when you catch the fellow your after,” Bob replied. “Count on it,” said John.

As he straightened and put things back in place, Doc fumed. He couldn't help but chuckle at the thought that if Abby had been with him when he arrived, she would have probably started shooting or given chase for the men daring to go into her house. If they had actually broken something...

As he worked, Doc pondered what the men had said as they exited his home. They weren't just looking for money, they were looking for "the money." The money he had brought back from Utah. Now, how had they known about that? Doc ran through his mind who knew about his money. Yes, he had paid Seamus and Kay at the mercantile, but he hadn't mentioned having more at hand, and hadn't shown that he had more. Keller and Bob had been paid, but he trusted both implicitly. That left two possibilities. Constance at the bank, a quiet widow who lived alone and seldom socialized, and the more likely possibility. Cushman. Cushman knew he had more than the money he paid, because he wanted Doc to put it into an account in his bank. The more he learned of the man, the more Doc wouldn't put it past the banker to either blab about it because it showed him to be in the know, or to even hire men to rob Doc of the money himself.

Doc began thinking. He had kept the money in the saddlebags and with him for the simple reason he hadn't had the opportunity to put it safely away. That needed to change. If something were to happen to him, Abigail would need that money for herself. Looking around the house, Doc pondered a moment. Finally, the idea hit him, and he knew the perfect spot to keep the money safe. After he finished, he got out his bedroll. It was still chilly out, and he was going to be missing a nice warm bed, but with everything going on, Doc's instinct was to not get caught inside if he could avoid it. There was a small copse of trees on a small ledge at an angle behind the barn. He'd pull the bay horse close and picket him, then sleep there after he ate.

‘Cactus Jack, I’ve been Cactus Jack Calder for longer than I’ve been known a simply John Calder. Reckon I might just give up this attempted subterfuge and just admit to anyone else I meet I’m the infamous Cactus Jack,’ thought John, ‘uhm Jack or CJ if you prefer.’ “Heh, heh I guess that’s decided,” mumbled Jack to himself. As he approached the ranch Jack noticed there was no smoke coming from the chimney. It was early Spring, but not warm enough to warrant having no cook stove going. Something was not right. Jack pulled up behind a stand of chock cherry bushes. Pulling his scope from it’s case he stood in the saddle and perused the area. The horses were out in the coral not in the barn. Doc’s big Bay was missing from the remuda. That likely meant Doc had gone over to the camp to see Abby. Might be staying the night, it was kind of late. Still something niggled at Jack’s brain. Something was off, his gut said don’t go in all relaxed and casual. Pulling his horse around, Jack rode away, towards his back trail. No use in being paranoid unless you listened to that little voice that whispers ‘DANGER’.

Swinging wide around the home place, Jack rode to the far side and approached from the open range. There was a ledge with a small stand of trees above the house. It was a good place to lay in wait and spy on the ranch. About 100 yards back from the stand of trees there was a small gulley that ran with water now but likely dried up in the summer. Dropping his reins so that his horse would wait, Jack approached the trees carefully. There was a bed roll in the bushes but no man, this was not good. Had he been spotted? “Howdy John,” said Doc. “I’ve been looking for you to return. I heard your approach from town. That timber bridge over the creek really thunders when a horse crosses it. When you didn’t show I scooted into cover as I figured you would circle around.”

“Yeah, lot of good that did for me. I’d be toes up had you been of a mind to do that,” admitted Jack. “Something other than my approach must have spooked you, or you wouldn’t have a bedroll out here. What’s happened since I left for town?” “I took a shotgun and rifle over to Abby,” replied Doc. “When I got back there were two men just leaving the house. Fortunately I avoided being seen. They were too far away for me to confront them so I just hung back. Once they were gone I went in the house. They had searched the place and were not trying to hide the fact. The house was a mess. Once I cleaned up I decided to camp out here in case anyone returned. I didn’t want to be trapped inside.”

“Do you think they found what they were looking for?” asked Jack. “No,” replied Doc. “I heard them talking, they didn’t find what they were after. They didn’t take anything to make it look like a wandering saddle bum broke in to look for food or other supplies.”

“You mind telling me what they thought was there?” queried Jack. “No, I trust you John. You know last year just before winter set in Utah Bob, Linn Keller and I tried a cattle drive to Laramie. It was a disaster and we all lost money. Since it was my idea I felt responsible for their loss. I also owed the banker in town on a loan that was coming due. Some time ago I had found a gold deposit over west of here. At the time I was not interested in getting involved in a gold rush with all that would entail, so I ignored it. Before you showed up, I decided to see if I could dig enough gold to pay the loan and maybe make up the losses to Utah and Linn. Once I had the gold I went over to the Mormon settlements and changed it for cash. That way around here people only knew I managed to pay off my debts. The only person who I don’t trust, and who knows I had more money, is the banker Cushman. I didn’t trust him to handle the remaining money, which peeved him. So I’m thinking he either bragged about how I had all this cash and someone took him seriously or he sent those men to get it.”

Jack fumed, “Man, I thought that Texas had all the carpetbagger scoundrels. Do you really think the banker is that greedy?” “No doubt about him being greedy,” said Doc. “The question is, is he that crooked that he’d set up a robbery? I’m awful suspicious of him.” “Okay, what are we going to do about it? asked Jack. “I’d like to get some proof, if Cushman is behind this, said Doc. “I was hoping that those men would return and try and catch me so they could force me to reveal where the money is.” Jack thought a moment, “Well I noticed that there was no smoke from the cook stove. That’s what made me suspicious. If they do return we need some smoke. How about one of us stay in the house and keep a small fire going the other can wait up here to get them from behind. We’ll capture them and make them talk.“

“They don’t know I’m a lawman. I could be a real crazy mean fellow that might even skin them alive for all they would know.” said Jack with a big grin. “In line with that thought, and since a goodly number of people already know, I’m going back to my Texas identity. At least as far as my name goes, I’m ‘Cactus Jack’ from the Texas border country, a mean hombre who eats horned lizards for breakfast and can outfox a coyote any day. Yeehaw! Although you and Abby, and Linn may still call me John if y’all prefer.” “Ha, ha,” laughed Doc. “Okay ‘Cactus Jack’, let’s give it a try, that is, IF they come back.”

Doc hadn't thought about Calder when he made his initial plan, and had thought only if the men came back, or someone else for that matter, it would look as though nobody were home, and he wouldn't be trapped inside without help. He liked Calder's plan, though, and quickly agreed. Doc gestured toward the house, "You go to the house, get the fire started, and get a good night's sleep. I'll sleep here." Calder shook his head, "It's your house, and I'm the hired help, by rights, you should..." Doc cut him off with a wave of his hand, "My bedroll is already laid out, and I wouldn't have a man working for me doing something I wouldn't do myself. Be sure to set the bar in the door. It's plenty sturdy, and if someone does come, you won't be as exposed as me." When Calder looked unsure, Doc went about getting back into the bedroll, and grinned up at the man. "Goodnight, Cactus Jack."

I looked at Hammond's son and Hammond's son looked at me and he genuinely looked surprised.

I don't reckon I had any expression a'tall on my face.

I was dead inside, as dead as I felt back in that damned War.

He was headed out of town and I was headed into town and he yanked his horse's reins and his horse reared his head with his mouth open and I figure that damned idjut bruised his horse's mouth when he yanked.

Hammond's man was behind him and I figured to shoot Hammond first and his man second, only Hammond's horse spun and Hammond fell off to the side and I glared at his hired hand and said "Run and live."

He ran.

Hammond's horse circled as he fought his foot free of the stirrup.

I waited.

Hammond was screaming, profaning the fleeing hireling, damning me to an eternity boiling in buffalo fat, condemning his horse to being skinned alive in a glue factory, kicking at his trapped boot:  his horse was still circling, dragging him until he kicked his foot free.

I sat on Bud-mule and looked at him.

"I came to kill you," I said quietly.  "I came to kill you and your brother and I came to kill your old man."

Bud-mule stood and looked sleepy.

I swung down out of the saddle, walked over to Hammond's son.

He was still on the ground.

Why he did not move, why he did not draw, I do not know.

He looked for all the world like a rabbit when a rattle snake is slithering up on it.

I came up to just out of arm's reach and I hunkered down and looked at him.

I've known men to sneer at an advancing line of bayonets, I've known me who turned and ran at the sight of a knife pointed in their direction.

I've known men who did just what Hammond's son was doing, staring fearfully at death as it approached.

I looked long at him and finally I said "Was you my son, I'd not want someone to kill him."
My voice was quiet as I spoke.

"Your Pa claims land another man owns. Your Pa come here causin' trouble and he don't like that we didn't run. 

He allowed as he'd kill Doc and me."

I smiled, just a little, a thin smile that barely lifted the corners of my mouth.

"I come to kill him. I don't reckon you can stop me."

Funny thing about cowards.

When they're in the company of cowards they're brave as hell, but when they're by themselves the fold like Japanned paper.

He just laid there and he looked to be near to shiverin'.

"Your hired hand just run back to town and I reckon they'll be comin' this-a-way right directly.  I'll be set up for an ambush and they'll ride right into it."

My voice was quiet, my words were gentle, my eyes were unblinking.

"I need to know what'll happen if I let you go before they get here."

Calamity was on her knees with pins in her mouth fitting Mrs. Fletcher for a gown. "Please hold still, Mrs. Fletcher.  I don't want to poke you with these pins.  I'm sure they will hurt and could damage the dress."  Seems there is a fancy gathering at the Cushman place and Mrs. Fletcher was invited.  She was chattering away about who was going to be in attendance, "all the best folks in town, don't you know."  The Fletcher's were also going to bring her daughter Sarah along as well.    Sarah was approaching marrying age and Mrs. Fletcher hoped Sarah might meet a nice young man there, maybe even Evan Cushman, the son of the hosts.  Why he was a fine young man and would be going off to college soon.  A perfect choice for her Sarah.  Calamity barely listened to Mrs. Fletcher, making sure she nodded at the correct times and gave the appearance of listening, all the while not caring a whit.  Calamity wasn't invited and was not likely to go if she had been invited.  A lowly tailor would never be invited to such a function, which was OK by Calamity.  It just meant more business for her, and right now she could use all the business she could get. 

Suddenly, a horse and rider came flying down the street, shouting and carrying on as if he had seen a ghost.  He was shouting something about a mad man on a mule wanting to kill him.  Folks were coming out of the buildings and shops looking at who was causing such a ruckus.  Utah Bob stepped out of the Sheriff's office to meet the man as he approached.  "What's all the carrying on, son?" said Bob.  "Who's trying to kill you?"  The man jumped off his horse and began blabbering about a man on a mule just outside of town and he had a big riffle pointed right at him, and he was going to kill his boss, and....."  Bob stopped him and said "Whoa son.  Why don't you step into my office and we'll chat about this for a minute."  The man tied up his mount and followed Bob into the Sheriff's station, all the while blabbering about what just happened.

I powered forward and seized his wrist.

He'd pulled out a hideout pistol, a little revolver fellows will carry in the off pocket, and many a gunfighter has been killed, punched full of holes from the little hideout gun while watching the other guy's belt artillery.

I'd learned the hard way to look for the left hand gun and sure enough he got it out and swung it towards me and I felt the sting as his bullet whistled between my ribs and my right arm.

He should not have made me mad.

I had a death grip on his wrist and it didn't get no looser until I felt it tear apart and he screamed like a little girl and that shiny silver hammerless fell and his eyes rolled up and he went limp.

I taken that little hammerless hideout and slud it in my own off pocket where it clinked against my own little silver hammerless hideout.

I am not as dumb as I look (which a friend told me proves the Lord is merciful!) and once I learned about that off side hideout, why, I've not been without one.

Of course soon as it went in my coat pocket I forgot about it.

Bud-mule looked kind of drowsy and I stood up and kissed at him.

Bud he come shufflin' over towards me and I fed him a shaving of plug tobacker and took him back in the brush and said "You hide now," and Bud he folded up his legs and laid down and looked like he was goin' to go to sleep.

Me, I taken my rifle and I loaded me extra hulls in my other coat pocket and I felt good about what I was about to do.

Hammond and his bunch, I figured, was about to come just a-foggin' out this-a-way.

The hired man would have told them exactly where I was.

They'd not run straight into me, they'd fork off and likely try to come in like a pincer and I knew right where they'd fork off.

I set off on the Hot Foot.

If a man allows as he's going to kill another man, he'd ought to do it right there and not go talkin' about it.

He had, and that meant he was bought and paid for.

Doc slept soundly despite the cold night. Waking in the morning, he burrowed down into the bedroll, thinking he should've told Cactus Jack to bring him coffee in the morning. About the time Doc was working up the energy to get up and moving, he heard the shout from below "C'mon down, Doc, you're wasting daylight! Coffee's on and breakfast is ready!" Doc hurriedly got himself up and moving, and after finding a convenient tree to talk to nature for a moment, headed on toward the house as quickly as he could, bedroll over his shoulder.

Walking in, Doc washed his hands as Cactus Jack said, "It ain't as good as your wife's but it's hot and you didn't have to make it yourself." Doc grabbed a cup and poured coffee before sitting down to see ham and eggs with biscuits ready and waiting. Both men sat down and dug in, conversation stopping while they ate. Drinking coffee after, Doc asked "Do you mind staying around here today? I'm going to go check on Abby, then maybe head on into town, unless she has other ideas." Cactus Jack nodded, "I might just take up position where you spent the night. Sort of sit back with a book and relax. Come down from time to time to keep the fire stoked, but otherwise, see of those two come back."

Doc was in the saddle a short time later, riding the big bay he favored. Reaching the Henderson's camp, Doc stepped out of the saddle as Abby came up to him with a fresh cup of coffee. Before he could ask, she let him know, "Maury and baby are doing fine. She's up and around a bit, should be good as new in a couple more days. Frank seems to be breathing a bit easier. Says his headache is gone. He asked if there's a church in town, that he'd like to go to services and give his thanks. I told him he probably isn't up to that yet, told him he can probably let God know that from here." Pausing and smiling, she continued, "I think I can slip away and get a bath at home, then perhaps take a drive into town? I want to see how Kris is doing on the dresses, and I would love to sit and have some tea with her and chat awhile." Doc nodded, thinking to himself how she was always at least a step ahead of him in her thinking. "Let me go tell Cap'n Burcher we'll be gone a bit, ask if he can keep an eye."

Walking over, Doc told Burcher of their plans, and Burcher shrugged. "Shouldn't be a problem, Doc. Any problems, I think we can handle 'em. Spin back by here on your way to town, and I'll ride over with you, if you don't mind. I need to sort of feel things out with this Hammond character, anyway. Curly is the oldest of eight kids, pretty sure he can handle any issues if Mrs. Henderson isn't up to it." Doc glanced at his wife, "We'll hurry along, and be back as quick as we can."

Jack spent a little time cleaning up and stoked the fires. Moving up to the trees he settled in where he could see the approach to the ranch without exposing himself. Pulling out a copy of ‘20,000 Leagues Under the Sea’ by a fellow named Jules Verne he began to read. Shortly Jack heard horses approaching from the direction Doc had headed to visit Abby and the Hendersons camp. Sure enough there was Doc and the Missus, coming in to the ranch. Jack quickly used his field glasses to check down towards town. There was nothing showing so he stood up and waved at the pair and began to tighten his cinch. Mounting he rode down to the yard to meet them. “Howdy Missus Ward,” he hollered. “Everything alright with the little one I reckon?” “Yes,” responded Abby. “He is beginning to demand attention when he need feeding or changing. That is always a good sign from one so new. I see you have the stove fire up, thank you.”

“No problem Mam, Doc figured it would be a good idea to make the house look occupied while I watched over it,” Jack said as he winked at Doc. “Thank you Jack,” said Abby. “I’m going to get cleaned up and then Ben and I are going into town.” As she entered the house, Doc spoke up saying, “I want to see what is happening in town and Abby needs some time to relax with her friend Kris at the ladies shop. If you don’t mind I’d appreciate it if you’d stay here to continue to watch over the buildings.” “Not a worry,” replied Jack. “I notice Miss Abby called me ‘Jack’, so the word is getting around as to my true identity?” “Yes I told Cap’n Burcher and his men. They weren’t to surprised, it seems you don’t exactly look like a wandering cowboy. Something was said about your eyes always being busy. Burcher and his men served together in the late war and recognize the traits of a careful man.” “Huh, they aren’t exactly sitting on their thumbs out there, are they?” replied Jack as he remounted to move up to the overlook. “I’ll be here, if you need me send someone out to get me.”

Riding along in a surrey with Burcher riding a little ahead, Doc and Abigail came into town. Doc was glad for Burcher's company, because he felt exposed driving the surrey, knowing threats had been made against him. As he got closer to town, he felt he was being watched, and his eyes stayed busy, searching for the unseen. Ahead, Burcher's head remained on a swivel, and beside him, his wife grasped a Winchester leaning beside her, ever watchful herself.

Doc had waited to tell her about the two men at their home, and she was both furious and worried they would come back. She was worried about Calder there alone, but Doc assured her the man was very capable, and could take care of himself, reminding her "they don't just let anyone be a Ranger. It takes a special breed." Cactus Jack seemed a little flustered when Abigail thanked him for staying and to be careful before giving him a small hug and kiss on the cheek before they left. "You... Ummm... You're most welcome, Ma'am... Abigail..."

Pulling up to Kris's shop, they saw her standing outside, shading her eyes as she looked toward the Marshal's office. Abigail got her attention as she got down, "What's going on, Kris?" Kris glanced at her friend with a bit of a worried look. "A fella came riding up, yelling about someone on a mule with a rifle that was going to kill him and his boss. Utah Bob just took him into his office away from the crowd." Doc and Burcher looked at one another, then back to Kris, speaking at the same time, "A mule?"

Hopping out of the surrey as Burcher climbed from his horse, the two began to walk the office. Doc turned to his wife, "Go inside and relax. We'll see what's going on." As they walked away, Kris gave Abigail a curious look. Abigail responded, "They think it might be Linn. He's been riding that mule of his, and hasn't seemed to take Hammond threatening his life lightly." Kris covered her mouth with her hand, a shocked look on her face. "I hadn't considered that! A threat? What happened?" Abigail turned, "Let's go inside, I didn't have time to really catch up last time I was here. I'll tell you all about it."

The women walked in, and Kris said, "Have a seat, I have water heated, and I can make tea." Abigail sat and waited, glancing at the emerald dress that she knew to be the one Kris was making for it. Letting herself say aloud "How beautiful!" Kris was just walking back in with a platter with the tea set on it and heard Abigail. "I'm so glad you like it! I think it is beautiful too! And we're not the only ones!" Setting the tea set down, Kris began pouring as she continued, "You know it isn't like me to gossip, but this does kind of concern you. Mrs. Cushman came in and saw it. Said she just had to have it for her daughter! When I told her I was making it for you, I expected some snide comment, because she never hesitates, but not this time! She just looked annoyed and said 'Oh, well then, never mind!' Can you imagine? That's not like her at all!"

Abby smiled at the news, and leaned in to tell her friend everything. About Doc's find, the fact that he paid off the bank with money left over, and more.

I waited.

A young man will wait and he'll get anxious and jumpy and he'll wind himself up like an eight day clock.

The War burnt that all out of me.

I waited.

I was in a good place to watch for a distance, I could see the double fork, I knew anyone comin' from town would be visible for a goodly distance, and I knew friend and foe alike would use the same line of march.

This was not the only way to travel but for a man intent on revenge, for a man mad and comin' for blood, it was the most direct.

My gut told me this was the route Hammond would come out, he'd use the double fork -- one to the left and one to the right, nearly side by side -- to flank on either side of where I'd been.

That's the way I would do it.

Now if Hammond and his men were not thinking after a military fashion -- and truth be told I never did know if Hammond had ever been a soldier -- why, they'd pull an amateur's impatient charge and come right towards me.

This suited me fine.

Either way I had a good clear field of fire: I would be invisible until my first shot.

I had good cover, I could put effective fire to either side and catch anyone trying the flank trails, at least for a little bit, and anyone boring straight in at me would get the full benefit of a magazine rifle.

I took pains to blend in with my surroundings, much as I could; I made myself comfortable, much as I could, I set on a thick-folded blanket and waited, and I listened to the wind and to the birds.

The hardest part was disciplining my wandering mind.

I knew if I let my mind wander it would take my attention with it and so I steered it ruthlessly back to the task at hand.

The only stray thought I allowed myself was for that mountain cat at the barn, and I only allowed it long enough to smile, ever so slightly, before I pushed the thought aside and concentrated on what was ahead of me.

I had an uneasy feeling that come on me sudden-like, and I turned and looked around and did not see a thing.

Nerves, I reckoned, and that kind of irritated me, for I thought such things were long in my past, then I turned and looked on ahead towards the double fork, and then I saw something that narrowed my eyes a little.

I saw that mountain cat.

After Doc and the Missus left Jack settled in to watch, reading the book helped to keep him from drowsing. Three hours or so later there was motion down the road. Easing his field glasses up Jack spotted two men as they turned off the road into the bushes. Watching the movement of the bush he was able to trace their progress as the circled around to get behind the barn. Once behind the barn they moved out from cover up to the building. Jack, lifted his 73 to the ready and watched. The men moved away from their horses and began to approach the house. Jack waited until they burst into the house ready to catch whoever was inside. He quickly ran to the back of the barn and loosened the horses ties, moving them back into the bush and up to his perch above the house.

The men reappeared at the back door, carefully searching the area for an ambush. Making their way to the barn they discovered the horses were gone. “Someone’s been here and took the horses,” yelled one.”You can see boot prints here. Get down or we’re dead men.” “ALRIGHT YOU MEN,” shouted Jack. “THIS IS THE LAW AND WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED.” “THROW DOWN YOUR WEAPONS, STEP AWAY FROM THEM AND LAY DOWN FACE IN THE DIRT OR YOUR DEAD MEN.” The men dropped their pistols, moved a few steps and lay down on their stomachs. “OK, JIM, GO DOWN THERE AND GET THEIR WEAPONS, WE’LL KEEP THEM COVERED.”

Jack walked down, retrieved the weapons and stepped back saying. “Okay yuh birds, set up and pull of’n yur boots n throw them over thetaway.” “Why our boots?” asked the one who seemed to be the leader. “So’s y’all cain’t run,” grinned Jack as he settled on his heels. “I’s gunna ast y’all sum quesions n y’all er gunna answer reel keerful like. If’n y’all cornvince me y’all er tell’n thu truth yuh might live. Otherize I’ll venilate y’alls hide a bit.” “You can’t do that, squawked the leader. “The law don’t allow torture of prisoners.” “Yeah weel ah lied a teeny bit about thet. Yuh see I’m kinda ahlone and I ain’t no lawman frum herebout’s,” mused Jack rubbing his chin. “Ah work fur the boss of this here spread n I ride fur thu brand. Yuh fellers been mess’n with the house befur, so’s ah figur if’n I’s tuh shoot yuh, in self deefense mind yuh, I’d be with’n mah raghts. Heh, heh kinda funny ain’t it. Y’alls the owlhoots n I’s jest a simple cowhand.” “Mister, your crazy, you ask what you want, we’ll talk,” replied the other man. “Shut up,” said the leader. “He can’t get away with just shooting us.” “I ain’t taken any chances,” the man said. “I’ll talk.”

“Okay,” said Jack. “Who sent yuh, yuh ain’t smart nough to figur out this deal on yur lonesome. What’s theh boss man up to?” “It was old man Hammond, he got word from the banker, Cushman that Ward had a big wad of cash. We was supposed to find it and Hammond would let us keep half.” “Y’all figur thet Hammond was gunna let yuh live after thet?” queried Jack. “Yur dummer than a bag uh rocks. Yuh was gunna be crow bait as soon as y’all handed over thu loot. Whur was yuh gunna meet up with this Hammond gent?” The man said, “We were to meet one of the sons north of town. Then once we had our share we’d ride for Cheyenne.” “Tain’t likely yuh’d survive thet meet’n. Okay, get yur boots back on. Y’all err gunna show me whar thet meet’n wus tuh take place.”

"Oh my goodness it's been awhile since we've had the chance to chat."  "I do so miss that", exclaimed Calamity.  "Yes" sighed Abby, "It's been too long".  Calamity passed Abby a plate of tea cakes she had baked the night before.  She kept them on hand, in case anyone came to chat.  Abby picked an apple filled one with sugar crystals on top.  Calamity opted for a plain one.  "Oh and let me tell you about the baby" Abby exclaimed.  "Baby???" calamity looked shocked.  "You're not expecting, are you?"  Calamity gasped.  "No, not yet," Abby said.  Abby proceeded to tell Calamity about how she and Ben helped deliver the Henderson's baby.  "Oh my goodness."  "It's a miracle you both were there when they needed you."  "The family is doing well, I hope" Calamity asked.  "Yes they are fine" Abby exclaimed.  "They should be able to get on the road in a couple of days, if things continue to go well."  "Very glad to hear that" Calamity sighed.  "Now, let's finish getting you fitted for that lovely emerald dress.   I have just received some wonderful peacock feathers that would make a fabulous fascinator for that dress".  Calamity rose from her chair and walked behind the counter where she retrieved a simple brown box.  She lifted the lid and held it up to show Abby.  "Oh my those are lovely" Abby exclaimed.  "I'm sure if you add a piece of the emerald fabric to them, it will be simply lovely."  "Yes that was my plan.  Add a small piece of fabric to frame the feathers, and some black beads, you will have quite the headpiece."  "Won't Mrs. Cushman and her darling Sarah be jealous"  Abby said slyly.  At that, both women giggled a little guilty but honest giggle.  Abby rose from her chair and retrieved the emerald dress from the hanger.  Calamity motioned to the small booth in the back room where Abby could change into her new dress.  When Abby stepped out, Calamity gasped in amazement.  The color was perfect for Abby.  The emerald set off her red hair beautifully.  Calamity opened the box of feathers and picked out three of the best, then grabbed a scrap of the emerald fabric she had set aside.  Calamity gathered it into kind of a fan shape and placed it behind the feathers.  Abby stepped on the box in the front room where Calamity did her fittings.  There were three mirrors there where the customers could see nearly all angles of their clothes.  Calamity slid next to Abby and held the in work fascinator up to Abby's hair.  Abby nodded in approval.  "Yes that will be lovely," she said.  Calamity crouched down and began to straighten the hem of the dress to check for length.  Out of the corner of the mirror, Calamity saw a figure dart past her front window.  She didn't get a good look at them but they were moving fast.  Maybe it was just a child playing, she thought.  Even though, they were awfully big to be a child.  Well, no need to alarm Abby.  Something to keep in mind, she thought.

Having only arrived in town recently, Kit left the livery heading for the Boarding House, stepping from the boardwalk onto the dusty street and then through a short cut behind the stables. As he approached the boarding house, Kit heard voices coming from an adjacent lot.
There he saw four men discussing troubles they were having with the Town Marshal. They were making threats that they would kill him on sight the next time they saw him. One of the men even suggested taking out all the lawmen in town.
Concerned for their safety, Kit continued to the boardwalk in front of the Boarding House and down the street. Catching the first stranger heading his way, he queried as to where he could find the Town Marshal. After the man pointed him out, I approached him and introduced myself.
Marshal, if I may have a bit of your time?”, Kit said as he motioned toward a less crowded section of the street.
What can I do for you stranger?”, the Marshal responded.
I just came from the livery and heard four or five men making threats toward you and the other lawmen in town. One of the men had a bandage around his head.” Kit continued.
Well I take this kind of threat seriously,” the Marshal replied. “I’ll certainly take care of it and thank you for your concern. You say they were down next to the Boarding House?”
Kit merely nodded his head in agreement.
With that, the Marshal placed a firm strong hand on Kit’s shoulder stating, “You’re a good man,” turned and headed back in the direction he had come.
Kit did likewise heading back to the Boarding House; however, instead of entering the building, he crossed the street and found a spot in an alleyway just off the boardwalk.
It wasn’t long until he spotted what appeared to be five lawmen making their way to the vacant lot directly in front of him. One of them was arguing with the Marshal, but eventually the one gave way to the other four as they approached the lot.
The four lawmen were now facing six cowboys.
I heard the Marshal state, "Throw up your hands; I have come to disarm you!"
Three of the Cowboys took off almost immediately. That was when I saw one of the cowboys start to draw his six-shooter and my instincts kicked in as I drew and fired in his direction. Although I missed, I believe I caused him to miss his intended target.
Shooting continued and there was black powder smoke everywhere and as quickly as it started, it had ended.

Suddenly, the one that had used the scatter gun turned around and looked in my direction. I froze, as he bent over picking up the shotgun and began to approach me. 

"I heard what you did there stranger" he said in between bouts of coughing. "I'm much obliged for saving my best friend."

With that he held his shotgun with extended arms in a sign of thanks and gestured for me to take it. "It's yours to remember this day."

"That I will do, Sir," Kit replied.

The man then tipped his hat, smiled, and as he turned away said, "Call me Doc."

A knock on the door to his room caused Kit to awake from his dream. "Ah, that was a good day," he whispered to himself with a smile appearing on his face.

"Be right there," he responded to the person who knocked on the door.

Kit was completely unaware of how tired he was and how long he had been sleeping, but he knew he was more rejuvenated and refreshed than he had ever been since his long journey to East Fork.

Rising out of bed, he slowly approached the door,  swinging it wide open.

His eyes grew large and his jaw dropped at the person standing in front of him. 

Archived