SASS Wire Forum

Slippery Hands

Tequila Shooter

5 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I found synthetics cause me to sweat more, become sticky and hot, they’re slower to remove moisture from the skin and slower to evaporate it out than cotton.  Plus, I think they hold onto and intensify odor.

I rather feel as if I’m in a plastic outfit with synthetic garments; they  just don’t work for me.

BUT, we all know that most people do wear synthetics and prefer them.  So, if they work as well or better for you than “natural” fiber, then of course you should wear them.

Cat Brules

So all those professionals that wear it for it's wicking and breathability are just... Fools???

Modern fabrics can easily out perform cotton on these issues as well as odor control.

Something tells me you don't know what you're talking about... But whatever... Continue on with your preferences.

Phantom

15 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

What ever the professionals wear, it is because they get paid for "brand display".

Well that's kinda right and kinda wrong.

When you make a living performing in individual Sports, you don't get paid and/or have a short career if you don't perform. 

Which "Brand" is irrelevant... But the underlying technologies are not.

Phantom

Synthetic fabrics do not hold moisture like cotton.  With that said, a simple synthetic fabric with one layer will allow moisture to pass both directions.  So, if you're cotton pants are soaking wet with sweat, when you sit down your butt is still going to be sitting in sweat until your pants dry.

Synthetic fabrics are easier to wash and dry faster than cotton and do not retain smells or stains like cotton.

The best bottom layer synthetics to wear have multiple layers and act similar to GoreTex, allowing sweat to move away from your body and not back to your skin.

Reading some of the posts on the Wire, I'm of the mind very few are willing to spend the money that kind of "technical clothing" costs.

This is one of the reasons I decided to use a cross draw. I only have to change hands with my revolver 1 time, and it's empty when I do it.

Archived