SASS Wire Forum

I went to Wal Mart....

Chili Ron

10 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Personally, I don't see Wally World getting out of the firearms business as any great loss.

I've bought guns from Wal-Mart.  I'd go in, select what I wanted, pay for it, and go back ten or fifteen days later, complete the paperwork, the department manager would walk me to the door and only then hand me my purchase.  

Okay.  That worked.  

But the reality is, the staff knew virtually nothing about the products they sold.  They were underpaid, under-trained, had little or no interest, and were pretty much wholly incompetent in the field of firearms sales.  To the point that in california, audits results were downright shocking. 

From an April 11, 2003 article in the Christian Science Monitor:  "California recently announced Wal-Mart would temporarily halt firearms sales within the state after justice officials found nearly 500 violations of gun laws by just six stores in one month..."

I'm sure there were exceptions throughout the Wal-Mart world, but they're better off sticking to selling waffle irons and pillowcases (which the staff also doesn't know much about) and leaving firearms sales to those better suited to it.

One might argue that Wal-Mart could hire better qualified staff and provide better training to those who work in sporting goods.  But firearms only represent a tiny portion of their sales; from a business perspective, not worth the expense, or moreso, the headache. 

As an aside, I was with Bill "Wynuts" Wyant the evening in 1972 when he bought a Sako Finnbear  at Walgreen's Drug Store in Daly City, California.  Cost him $150, and the clerk (who happened to be much more knowledgeable than today's Wal-Mart employees) threw in a nice leather sling and a box of 7mm Remington Magnum ammunition.  :rolleyes:

By the way... Walgreen's doesn't sell rifles or ammo any more, either.

WalMarts recent move to stop selling guns and ammo to anyone under 21 was a purely  political move to appease the antigun crowd. To stop selling ammo or guns to a 19 or 20 yr old who can fight and die for our country is just plain disgusting to me. That’s why I don’t and never will shop at Walmart again. They’ve now pretty much got rid of all ammo at least at the two in my area. BTW I don’t go to Walgreens either and pretty much never did cause they just plain suck!

Our Sears store is just about nonexistent, and may be gone. i don't go into that area if i don't have to. First gun I bought was from Montgomery Wards circa 1970 or so. Bought a .22 carbine at an Acme grocery/department store in the late '70's also. Never had much use for Dick's:blush:

Archived