SASS Wire Forum

Hud, starring Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal and, yes, Brandon deWilde (the kid , Joey Starret, in Shane) is on Amazon Prime.  I haven't seen this film in over 50 years.  I had forgotten that it is basically a Western, albeit a modern Western.  Some great themes running through it, such as the generational loss of respect for values and what traits make a man a man.  First film I saw where the primary star turned out to be a heel.

Good thinking film.

https://www.amazon.com/Hud-Paul-Newman/dp/B0844Q7R96/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=hud&qid=1583243948&sr=8-4

LL

It’s hard to think of any other actor who was more consistently entertaining to watch than Paul Newman.  He was nominated for an Oscar in this one and 8 others, with only one win.  Go figure.

19 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

It’s hard to think of any other actor who was more consistently entertaining to watch than Paul Newman.  He was nominated for an Oscar in this one and 8 others, with only one win.  Go figure.

And a gentleman as well, not demanding of the undivided attention that some(?) Hollywood types require these days.  Had the privilege and pleasure of quite inadvertently finding myself walking to, and sitting next to, Paul Newman at the drivers' meeting at an SCCA National Race at Road America, Wisconsin.  When he was racing, he asked only to be treated as a racing peer...wouldn't have any part of being treated as "royalty."

CS

Archived