SASS Wire Forum

Have a football question this time

Alpo

It'she coin toss before the game starts.

After they've tossed and decided whether to receive in which end of the field to take, the rep tells them to shake hands and have a good clean game.

These are serious cross-town rivals, and none of them want to shake the others hand. Then:

>...the defensive co-captain spit on the ground at my feet. That definitely wasn’t cool! The ref got right up in his face. “Knock it off, mister! You do that again and it will earn you an unsportsmanlike conduct and a boot out of this game! Is that understood?”<

The boot out of the game part I get.

But the game has not officially started. If they were on the field, and the ball's down at the 35, and someone did an "unsportsmanlike conduct", their team would be penalized and the ball would be moved. Right?

But the game has not started. The ball is not on the field. What would be the result I'm giving that defensive co-captain an unsportsmanlike conduct?

Or would the penalty be that he got kicked out of the game for his unsportsmanlike conduct?

Because the way it was phrased in the book, and that's a direct quote, it sounded like he would get two things - the UC and the boot. Like if he was a pro, he'd be riding the bench for 3 games AND get a $10,000 fine.

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It'she coin toss before the game starts.

After they've tossed and decided whether to receive in which end of the field to take, the rep tells them to shake hands and have a good clean game.

These are serious cross-town rivals, and none of them want to shake the others hand. Then:

>...the defensive co-captain spit on the ground at my feet. That definitely wasn’t cool! The ref got right up in his face. “Knock it off, mister! You do that again and it will earn you an unsportsmanlike conduct and a boot out of this game! Is that understood?”<

The boot out of the game part I get.

But the game has not officially started. If they were on the field, and the ball's down at the 35, and someone did an "unsportsmanlike conduct", their team would be penalized and the ball would be moved. Right?

But the game has not started. The ball is not on the field. What would be the result I'm giving that defensive co-captain an unsportsmanlike conduct?

Or would the penalty be that he got kicked out of the game for his unsportsmanlike conduct?

Because the way it was phrased in the book, and that's a direct quote, it sounded like he would get two things - the UC and the boot. Like if he was a pro, he'd be riding the bench for 3 games AND get a $10,000 fine.

Once the officiating crew hits the field, they can throw a flag.  That's usually an hour or so before kick off. 

Usually,  it takes 2 UC flags to get booted- if it happens in the 2nd half, he sits out the 1st half of the next game, too.

The Ref can decide to eject a player on the 1st UC if the act is bad enough.

I would guess that the yardage for the pre-game penalty would be marked off on the kick off.

In this story, the spitter's team won the toss and will receive.

This is a high school game, so the kickoff is on the defenders' 40-yard line. A UC penalty is 15 yards. So they would kick off from the receivers' 45 yard line? 15 yards closer to the receivers' goal?

IF the ref had given him the UC, which he didn't?

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In this story, the spitter's team won the toss and will receive.

This is a high school game, so the kickoff is on the defenders' 40-yard line. A UC penalty is 15 yards. So they would kick off from the receivers' 45 yard line? 15 yards closer to the receivers' goal?

IF the ref had given him the UC, which he didn't?

Or it could be assessed after the return, taking 15 yards off the run.

That it's a high school game (an important bit of information not in the original post) the rules would likely be different than in a professional game, and likely guided by either county or state regulations.

20 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Or it could be assessed after the return, taking 15 yards off the run.

Johnny guessed that - they catch it and take it to the 50 and are downed, then the ref picked it up and takes it back to the 35 for the 15-yard penalty.

But Tennessee flat out said how they would do it - no mention of "guessing".  That's why I said it the way I said it - with a question at the end.

And since the last time I watched football was in high school, I was unaware that rules are different, until I went looking to see where you kick off from. And discovered there was a whole bunch of different rules for high school vs college vs pro.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Johnny guessed that - they catch it and take it to the 50 and are downed, then the ref picked it up and takes it back to the 35 for the 15-yard penalty.

But Tennessee flat out said how they would do it - no mention of "guessing".  That's why I said it the way I said it - with a question at the end.

And since the last time I watched football was in high school, I was unaware that rules are different, until I went looking to see where you kick off from. And discovered there was a whole bunch of different rules for high school vs college vs pro.

With HS football, the referees have total authority to rule on the spot regarding any situation that's not covered specifically in the rules. So, if it's not specifically covered the ref could go with what he thought was in the best interest in the game. One reason not to use the take 15 off the end of the run scenario would be the questions that would arise if the team scored on the return.

Archived