SASS Wire Forum

Do all shotgun?

Clay Thornton

So I want to buy the last 12 gauge that I will ever need for hunting and busting clays. I don't mind spending money on quality if it will last a lifetime. I have done some homework and I am feeling like the Browning Cynergy field in 12 gauge with a 28 inch barrel is the right move.

Hunting for me means the following: All manner of upland game birds, Turkey, Coyote, small game, deer, etc.

I'm not in any trap/skeet leauges, yet, so busting clays to me means my brother and I tossing clays by hand or the occasional trip to the local DNR range that has a few tossers.

I want the shotgun that for the rest of my life I can reach into my safe needing a 12 gauge and grab the same one regardless of the need. (Not for home defense obviously)

Am I on the right track with my thoughts on the Browning Cynergy Field? Thanks

Randy Wakeman gave it his highest recommendation.
I've followed his reviews on the Chuck Hawks site for quite a long time.
As he gets older, (like all of us) he has less tolerance for lousy quality, so he calls 'em as he sees 'em.

I am fully with the program of "buy once, cry once" when buying for quality.

My wife and I are interested in trap, nothing in the field.
With this in mind, I bought the Remington V3 in 28" walnut, entirely for its acknowledged soft recoil.

My 870 will retire from trap and resume its life as a 20-inch camp and bad guys shotgun.
Shooting trap with the 870 is a sobering experience.

Wow.  Gotta keep it to only one?  Sorry, I couldn't so that any more.  But if I had to, I'd think about a Remington 870/1100 or 11-87.  I bought a Remington TA Trap years ago.  I used it for trap, added a ribbed field barrel with screw in chokes for upland game and a slug barrel for deer hunting.  The 870s and 11-87s have the same option.  Now adays, I don't shoot trap anymore, I use a Browning Citori Feather for the upland fields, and we can use straight wall cartridge guns in southern Michigan for deer hunting.  Times change.

6 hours ago, Sarge said:

Wow.  Gotta keep it to only one?  Sorry, I couldn't so that any more.  But if I had to, I'd think about a Remington 870/1100 or 11-87.  I bought a Remington TA Trap years ago.  I used it for trap, added a ribbed field barrel with screw in chokes for upland game and a slug barrel for deer hunting.  The 870s and 11-87s have the same option.  Now adays, I don't shoot trap anymore, I use a Browning Citori Feather for the upland fields, and we can use straight wall cartridge guns in southern Michigan for deer hunting.  Times change.

Bingo. For me, my Remmie 1100 is my still one of the best values and all-around gun for bird hunting, both live and clay. It'll outlive me. If I had to replace it, I'd consider an over & under gun. But then, that third round in the magazine of an autoloader has come in handy in the field... :)

Archived