SASS Wire Forum

Remington New Model Army conversion

Bart Slade

Quick question on the Remington New Model Army conversion pistols by Cimmarron / Uberti:

How do you demonstrate that there is  an empty chamber under the hammer when you’re at the loading table?  The cylinders are recessed at the back for the case heads, and there’s just no seeing through the almost non existent gap where the cylinder meets the conversion plate.  

Cut a dowel rod put it down the empty Barrel to end of cylinder, then mark it with a green marker.

Then put a Bullet in the chamber, without a primer in cartridge. Put dowel rod back in Barrel then mark it with a Red marker.

Green empty chamber.Red loader chamber. 

That is what I do with my J P Sours .

Its simple and cheap. And works. 

I currently use those exact pistols as my main match guns. I always let the LTO know that he will not be able to check them like he does a 73 SAA and has 2 choices. choice 1 watch me load each round. load 1 skip one, load 4, fully cock, decock hammer down on empty chamber. or choice 2 I lay out 5 rounds for them to count, I then load as normal (load 1, skip 1, load 4, cock, decock.) then rotate the pistol upside down with the hammer touching the table and the pistol at about a 45* angle to the table you can look at the business end of the cylinder and count 5 rounds with the 6th chamber empty and under the hammer. 

7 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Cut a dowel rod put it down the empty Barrel to end of cylinder, then mark it with a green marker.

Then put a Bullet in the chamber, without a primer in cartridge. Put dowel rod back in Barrel then mark it with a Red marker.

Green empty chamber.Red loader chamber. 

I do like this Idea! the stick could also double as an ejector rod. it's kind of a pain to drop the ram rod, rotate the ejector, close the ram, eject the cases (not spring loaded) then have to drop the ram, rotate the ejector, close the ram. 

1 hour ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

it's kind of a pain to drop the ram rod, rotate the ejector, close the ram, eject the cases (not spring loaded) then have to drop the ram, rotate the ejector, close the ram. 

That's exactly why I have Kirst conversions and Kirst ejectors on my uberti 58s... (See Avatar)

Seems like I remember someone putting there cylinders in a lathe and machining that rim off. 

Also have known folks that put a gold mark outside the cylinder and don't load that chamber. Gold mark on top means you're good to go.

Archived