SASS Wire Forum

New Marlin 336 30-30

Got the Cabelas/Bass fall hunter sale mailer today. 

They have Marlin 336s (30-30) for $419. I'm tempted.

I have a pre-Remington Marlin 1894 .44 mag for SASS I bought at Big 5 for $325 in 2004. Love that rifle.

I have seen the post-Rem issues with Marlin manufacturing discussed from time to time, but I'm not current at all and don't know what the present quality situation is.

Would it be a good buy? Opinions solicited!

RED,

Go check it out.   If the action feel 'suitable' for you, then look for a few other things to determine

if you want it.

1.   Check out wood to metal fit and how important is that to you.

2.  Open the action and take a peak inside.    Work the lever and make sure the carrier will rise and fall

correctly.

3.  with finger pressure, make sure the sights are tightly set in their proper positions.

4.  make sure the forearm doesn't 'wiggle' around.

Little things such as this can normally give you a reasonable indication if you want to buy or not.

Sometimes, some of these minor things are all we have to judge most any gun we buy.

I've looked at a couple RemLIns lately and I think their quality has improved.

AND..... as Marshal mentioned above, there are places to check out original Marlins also.

Good Luck.

..........Widder

9 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Used Marlin 336's in .30-30 can be had much cheaper, sometimes with scope and sling attached.  Check GunBroker or your local Armslist first.

I bought an absolutely pristine 336 .30-.30 for $341, shipped to Johnny Meadows, on Gun Broker for my wife 2 yrs ago. It is JM stamped, made in 2006. Just $20 more for transfer. It was either unfired or very few rnds. through it.

DC

Archived