Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
J Bar Binks, #47015

California Gun Law advice please...

Recommended Posts

I've sent an email to CDOJ and tried calling, ending up in a perpetual game of runaround and "hold"...

 

... I have an antique handgun, manufactured before 1897 when production stopped. Is an antique handgun in California treated like other states where I can ship it to a California resident without DOJ approval or sending it to an FFL holder? The CCA is a bit unclear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as the caliber can't be bought easily at Wal-Mart or such.

Make sure the city you are sending it to will permit this.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I ca tell

 

16170. (a) As used in Sections 30515 and 30530, "antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured before January 1, 1899.

and

(2) Any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

 

you might peruse the information here

 

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-1025365.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

As long as the caliber can't be bought easily at Wal-Mart or such.

Make sure the city you are sending it to will permit this.

OLG

.38 S&W, Cambria.

 

28 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

As far as I ca tell

 

16170. (a) As used in Sections 30515 and 30530, "antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured before January 1, 1899.

and

(2) Any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

 

you might peruse the information here

 

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-1025365.html

Yeah, I think that "for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade" puts the kabosh on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

.38 S&W, Cambria.

 

Yeah, I think that "for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade" puts the kabosh on it.

 

Ah...   But can you get it loaded in black powder, which would be what this gun requires?

 

Not worth the risk to make such an argument...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Probably... I'm pretty sure Buffalo Arms and maybe Ten-X would have black powder .38 S&W.

 

(edit) Buffalo Arms lists it, but currently out of stock.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/38-s-w-black-powder-ammo-358-150-grain-rn-hollow-base-bullet-this-is-not-38-special-box-of-50-amobp38sw

Edited by J Bar Binks, #47015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

.38 S&W, Cambria.

 

Yeah, I think that "for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade" puts the kabosh on it.

I agree-Gotta find a FFL.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The gun is broken, worn out, and completely non-functional, fit for nothing more than a display piece in a shadow box on the wall. I was going to send it to the guy for basically the price of shipping. Paying an FFL on his end for the transfer makes it impractical.

 

I recently transferred a Ruger LC9s from a California dealer to a client here, an estate inheritance I believe, and the receipt showed the California FFL holder dinged him $55 to transfer it into his bound book, then ANOTHER $55 to transfer it back out to me. With my $20 fee, the poor guy paid $130, plus shipping & insurance, for a free gun. :blink: The gun is available for under $300, NIB, and the new EC9s is available on Gunbroker for $225 BIN & $20 shipping.

I guess if it was something he actually wanted, $130 was a pretty good deal. :mellow:

Edited by J Bar Binks, #47015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should see the fees our DOJ charge the FFL's to process transfers etc.. :rolleyes:;)

OLG

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.