SASS Wire Forum

"Riding the storm"

Three Foot Johnson

Yesterday morning on my way to the cowboy shoot, it was 50°. Later in the afternoon, the temperature began to drop as the polar vortex descended on us, and on the drive home, registered 19° at one point. Less than thirty minutes later,  it was back up to 51° as I continued my southerly journey home.

Riding the storm, but I couldn't outrun it in the long run - it's well below zero at my house this morning.

Weather2.jpg

Down here in The Republic we have "Blue Northers" where the temp can drop mult tens of degrees in minutes much like you had

I was a kid playing football on the elementary school playground when we had one come through.  Thought I would freeze to death on the 500 yard run home.  Think it was a 40°+ drop that time 

On January 11, 1980 in Great Falls, MT, the temperature rose from 32 below zero to 15 above in seven minutes.

December 14, 1924 at Fairfield, MT, the temperature dropped from 63 at noon to 21 below at midnight.

January 15, 1972 at Loma, MT, the temperature went from 54 below zero to 49 above in 24 hours - short of a volcanic eruption, this is the world record for a 24 hour temperature change.

January 20, 1954, a record low for the lower 48 was recorded on Rogers Pass, MT of 70 below. If you don't breathe slowly, or pre-heat the air you inhale, breathing in air that is 102 degrees below freezing can kill you.

In November 1965, I walked into the Base Exchange. The temperature was in the 40's. Ten minutes later, walked out and the temp must have dropped 30 deg. F. and the wind was blowing from the Northeast.  New Years Day 1969, the temp had dropped to -52 deg. F, and there was NO WIND!  Warmed up to -37 the next morning!  Those warmups would come when a Chinook wind was blowing off the mountains.  Air flowing downhill heats up as it descends.  See Charlie Russell's famous painting, "Waiting For a Chinook" (where the emaciated cow is waiting for a warmup...before it starves to death...Winter of 1886!)

Archived