SASS Wire Forum

Powder on sale at Graf & Sons

Warden Callaway

50 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've used Grafs Reenactor in about everything and it works fine and a $ or two less. Cheapest real black at Grafs. 

Glad to hear this.  I've never used reenactor and was wondering if it works ok.  

9 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Glad to hear this.  I've never used reenactor and was wondering if it works ok.

I'm shooting Grafs Reenactor in these Pietta 51 Navy Confederate 44s and it goes BANG,  makes smoke and ball flattens out about the size of a half dollar against the steel.  Any and all other powder may do better but this stuff does good enough. 

I used it a lot in 12 gauge loads when my supply of BlackMZ was running low.  I've used it some in everything else.  

1 hour ago, Captain Black Hand said:

Thanks for the tip on the sale Warden.  I got me some powder and primers coming.

+1, decided to try the store brand-Graf's made with alder. Read somewhere it's supposed to be better. It's cheaper, does anyone know if there is a real difference. Swiss seems expensive, how much do these brands differ in reality.

15 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

+1, decided to try the store brand-Graf's made with alder. Read somewhere it's supposed to be better. It's cheaper, does anyone know if there is a real difference. Swiss seems expensive, how much do these brands differ in reality.

I've always heard that Graf's is re-packaged Scheutzen. Scheutzen is supposedly between Swiss and Goex on the quality scale with Swiss being the best. Regardless of who actually makes Graf's BP I like it.

I understand Graf's standard grade BP is made by Scheutzen as well.  I've shot a lot of it over the years and it is great powder.  Swiss is the best and hottest of the real BP makers but there is no appreciable difference I can tell otherwise.  KIK is good powder too.  Goex is dirtier than most but their Olde Eynsford blend works well and burns cleaner the standard Goex.  I'm going to try the Reenactor for SG since the 10 gauge really goes through the powder supplies at a 120gr per pop.:ph34r:

Archived