SASS Wire Forum

Short stroke or not (pistol)

El Muerto Negro

My old style Rugers modified dedades ago by the lateyears ago by a passed away gunsmith, West Fargo, are fun to shoot. I win my category at local matches but that might be because I shoot Grand Patron!!!  

Eric,

I shoot Rugers.  I have two pair.  OMVs - which I prefer - and NMVs which are my backups.  They all have Bisley grip frames and hammers and both pair have been short-stroked by Boomstick Arms.  Are the short strokes quicker?  I honestly don't know.  I was pretty fast before and I've never put a timer on it to check splits.  Do I have less muzzle movement? Maybe,  but I actually was a "missing machine" right after installing the short strokes because I was finished with the hammer pull sooner than I had been before so the barrel hadn't had time to "lower" back into position the way it did before when I "finished" that longer pull.

So here comes the important questions.  Do I like them? Absolutely!  I'm not sure if any speed was gained at all but I feel faster.  Also, I finally adjusted to the shorter pull and misses are now few and far between.  Am I more confident shooting these pistols?  You bet I am!  My OMVs are the finest set of pistols I've ever owned.  Octagon barrels from Slick McClade help keep weight out front and muzzle flip to a minimum.  Short-stroke and tuning by Boomstick keeps them running about 100% better than new.  We know what a mental game this can be and if you are shooting equipment you're confident in most of the battle is already won.

Last question has to do with hammer location and grip size.  Do I prefer the Bisley frame and hammer?  Without a doubt.  I have pretty large hands.  The Bisley frame allows me to get all three remaining fingers on the front strap of the gun.  With a plow handle the pinky wraps under the butt which to me is unacceptable because a large portion (up to 50%) of your grip strength in the remaining three fingers is in your pinky.  And even with large hands I appreciate the fact the Bisley hammer is lower than the SBH hammer.  This helps the Bisley hammer settle in right under my thumb for subsequent shots.

Some have said they roll the thumb.  I pull straight back and lift the thumb almost straight up where it awaits the next cocking motion.  The only time my thumb hits the grip is when longer shots are required and I need to be steadier.

In summary, it looks like I've said a lot to really say a little.  Whatever works best in  your hand will give you the most confidence.  Whatever gives  you the most confidence will be the gun that works best for you.  Good luck!

HTH

35 minutes ago, Hairtrigger Hayes said:

Eric,

I shoot Rugers.  I have two pair.  OMVs - which I prefer - and NMVs which are my backups.  They all have Bisley grip frames and hammers and both pair have been short-stroked by Boomstick Arms.  Are the short strokes quicker?  I honestly don't know.  I was pretty fast before and I've never put a timer on it to check splits.  Do I have less muzzle movement? Maybe,  but I actually was a "missing machine" right after installing the short strokes because I was finished with the hammer pull sooner than I had been before so the barrel hadn't had time to "lower" back into position the way it did before when I "finished" that longer pull.

So here comes the important questions.  Do I like them? Absolutely!  I'm not sure if any speed was gained at all but I feel faster.  Also, I finally adjusted to the shorter pull and misses are now few and far between.  Am I more confident shooting these pistols?  You bet I am!  My OMVs are the finest set of pistols I've ever owned.  Octagon barrels from Slick McClade help keep weight out front and muzzle flip to a minimum.  Short-stroke and tuning by Boomstick keeps them running about 100% better than new.  We know what a mental game this can be and if you are shooting equipment you're confident in most of the battle is already won.

Last question has to do with hammer location and grip size.  Do I prefer the Bisley frame and hammer?  Without a doubt.  I have pretty large hands.  The Bisley frame allows me to get all three remaining fingers on the front strap of the gun.  With a plow handle the pinky wraps under the butt which to me is unacceptable because a large portion (up to 50%) of your grip strength in the remaining three fingers is in your pinky.  And even with large hands I appreciate the fact the Bisley hammer is lower than the SBH hammer.  This helps the Bisley hammer settle in right under my thumb for subsequent shots.

Some have said they roll the thumb.  I pull straight back and lift the thumb almost straight up where it awaits the next cocking motion.  The only time my thumb hits the grip is when longer shots are required and I need to be steadier.

In summary, it looks like I've said a lot to really say a little.  Whatever works best in  your hand will give you the most confidence.  Whatever gives  you the most confidence will be the gun that works best for you.  Good luck!

HTH

Thanks, I think you said alot to say alot. I get what your saying and appreciate the insight. Confidence in equipment is important and I have lost some in my Colts. Yes I could rebuild them but I would like a lower hammer. Just cant bring myself to do that to them.

I've been gathering information as you know and I'm close to make a move. There just seams like so many more options for Rugers. I've tried a couple sets of Bisleys but push the barrel down. Time may fix that or maybe not. My hands are thick but not long and the plow style feels correct to me. I've also tried 2 sets of short strokes from 2 diffrent smiths.  Both where 4-5/8 barrel and I did miss more then normal. It was around 30 degrees so thet may have been part of it. But I did like the feel of them. I roll my thumb but may try and work on a technique like yours. Something I could not do with my high hammer Colts.

Seems like mostly the SS is about control and less about split times. I miss more with my weak off hand than with anything else. So if control helps me with that it could be a winner. 

I know everyone is diffrent but how long did it take for you to adjust to the SS?

Thanks 

EMN

Very little time was needed for the adjustment to SS pistols.  I'd say less than a month.

My OMVs originally had 4.625" bbls (the ones I started shooting duelist with had 5.5").  I thought they'd be lightning quick and they were...but I couldn't hit a thing!  I added the 5.5" octagon bbls and fixed that problem.  Again relating to "what works for you". 

I know the Bisleys don't work for everyone but they are sure my favorite.  Except for those rare occasions when I shoot using a 2 hand grip.  Then I really like the plow handled pistols.  Either direction you go I think you'll be well served by a set of Rugers with SS added.  Based on my experience I would definitely choose the new guns with the same barrel length as the colts had.  That way you don't have to re-learn sight picture.

HTH

5 hours ago, El Muerto Negro said:

Thanks, I think you said alot to say alot. I get what your saying and appreciate the insight. Confidence in equipment is important and I have lost some in my Colts. Yes I could rebuild them but I would like a lower hammer. Just cant bring myself to do that to them.

I've been gathering information as you know and I'm close to make a move. There just seams like so many more options for Rugers. I've tried a couple sets of Bisleys but push the barrel down. Time may fix that or maybe not. My hands are thick but not long and the plow style feels correct to me. I've also tried 2 sets of short strokes from 2 diffrent smiths.  Both where 4-5/8 barrel and I did miss more then normal. It was around 30 degrees so thet may have been part of it. But I did like the feel of them. I roll my thumb but may try and work on a technique like yours. Something I could not do with my high hammer Colts.

Seems like mostly the SS is about control and less about split times. I miss more with my weak off hand than with anything else. So if control helps me with that it could be a winner. 

I know everyone is diffrent but how long did it take for you to adjust to the SS?

Thanks 

EMN

Just another opinion but I'd say it took me maybe 2 matches to get used to my short strokes. As HH and others have said it's all about what feels good and works for you. 

Randy

FWIW, my current OMRs have a 5-1/2' barrel on the right and a 6-1/2" (weak hand) on the left.

Archived