SASS Wire Forum

why won't CCI shot shell work in charter arms pitbull

Trigger Mike

I found a charter arms pitbull 9mm for 250 so could not pass it up.  holds 6.  stainless.  fired PMC 115 grain accurately no problem.  After 46 rounds, put 4 more PMC and 2 CCI #12 shot shell.  fired no problem.  put 6 #4 CCI shot shell, cylinder would not turn.  could not fire.  put 2 #12 shot shell in the cylinder and it would turn on the empty chamber but when it came time to rotate to fire the loaded chamber it got stuck.  It looked fairly clean and rarely used but we cleaned it again and will try again tomorrow.

38 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I think so too.  just barely.  i forced them down as much as they would go.  it surprises my that the first two fired fine but none afterwards.  

Recoil may be causing the shot container to slide forward out of the case.

I always have problems with the capsules. They slide foward because they get loose or jump crimp. 

Also, many times I’ve had the primers back out after firing ever so slightly getting hung on any bumps and stuff rearward.

For caplsul rounds, I only load one and twist the plastic capsul while pushing down to seat it before loading. I’ve even put a couple spots of superglue to stop the capsul from moving. Some lots are much worse than others.

I’ve found forty and forty five are the best. The Pitbul 40 and 45 are the best at dual purpose. 

Its the sole reason I went to a Bond for a dedicated snake pistol, the Taurus Judge and Governor both suck and suffer binding cylinder issues when you need the gun most. 

dealer i got it from suggested the CCI cases may be a hair longer but I don't have a means to measure it to see.  Meanwhile we cleaned it real good and they now can fire but it takes a lot of effort to get the cylinder out when loaded with CCI using a newer batch.  I wondered if some batches of CCI might be a little different,  it cycled but was stiff.

I called Charter Arms and they said not to shoot shot shells out of their revolvers.  That shot shells are made for semi autos.  I called CCI and they said they are made for revolvers and semi auto just not for every gun out there.  

Take a sharpie and color the plastic shot cup and head on 6 rounds.  Load it into the gun and shoot a couple. Then see if the cylinder will spin 1 revolution. 

Unload it and inspect the unfired cases to see if the coloring was scraped off the nose, the cup moved in the case, or if the head has had the coloring scraped off..

Archived