SASS Wire Forum

Hunker Down!

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Line of TX (and I don't mean Texas) headed our way. Stretches from Des Moines to Dallas. Heaviest activity is Des Moines to about Wichita, KS. Spring in the plains has arrived!  :o

I'll take the rain. I'll even take the hail and wind. I need a new roof, new siding and a new soft top on my Jeep. This could be an opportunity. :D

8 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I'll take the rain. I'll even take the hail and wind. I need a new roof, new siding and a new soft top on my Jeep. This could be an opportunity. :D

We had a horrible hail storm in the spring of 2016. Car windows were busted out, and damage was everywhere. Allstate was jerking me around with roof replacement. They sent out two "roof" inspectors. One said I only needed a couple of squares replaced. I asked him how the aluminum roof vents looked like they were beat with with a 9 iron, but the shingles next to them were fine. He said it was "soft" hail. Huh? I asked him if he knew hail falls from thousands of feet in the atmosphere, and anything "soft" from that altitude would still cause damage. He shrugged and left. Roof inspector number two comes out. Before he put a ladder up I asked him to look around at other houses. I told him to notice that this was the only house that did not have mature trees covering the roof. He noted that in his report and said he would get back to me. In the meantime I contacted the nearest NOAA radar and gave them my address. They sent me color radar images that showed at the height of the storm my house (little pink dot) was right in the midst of it. Plus I took pictures of the hailstones next to a ruler. They replaced the roof, then doubled my premiums. So I said good bye.

Just be sure to document your claims in case the "soft" hail comes your way.

HAIL03.15.16.jpg

Archived