SASS Wire Forum

my son improved all at once

Trigger Mike

My 8 year old is one of those children that bounces off walls, laughs like daffy duck on a laugh tirade (literally).  He never settles down.  When I have taken him shooting in the past he gets in such a hurry that he rarely hit the target so it was always hard to gauge what he was doing wrong.  he would literally be all around the target firing as fast as he could, eve with a lever action 22.  this weekend the store had S & W 15-22 for 300 so I bought one and also bought a metal christmas tree target with various swingers from metal targets in hopes the smaller targets would inspire him to take careful aim.  I zeroed the rifle for him and handed it to him and waited for the usual spry and pray and suddenly noticed that he was calm and hitting even very small 22 targets and rarely missing.  he was focused and had a better hold on the rifle.  he shot so well he was about as good as his 12 year old brother who shoots really well.  it would be a close competition.  Naturally he wants me to give him the rifle.  we will see.  He did get cocky afterwards and brag he could outshoot me but his brother reminded him, "how can you out shoot Dad?!  He taught you and I both how to shoot. "  I love watching little minds grow and learn and gain confidence.  

I saw the same things with my Grandson. The kid emptied 10/22 mags faster than all get out. By nature he is competitive so I would play a game with him that I always enjoyed. We set up a bunch of targets like clays, tin cans and shotgun shells (fired ones) and then we would take turns shooting at various targets. At first he hurried his shots but after "losing" for a while he slowed down. The last time we did this last summer he actually showed me up. He was hitting better than I was and was hitting 3 for each of my 2 targets. Made me proud :D

Archived