SASS Wire Forum

1897 Winchester Take Down Barrel Removal

Ace Hanlon

Are there special tools needed/required to remove the barrel extension and adjuster sleeve?  If special tools are needed, where can they be purchased? Any guidance regarding barrel replacement would be appreciated. 

OLG thanks for the video link which is one of the best I've seen.  I'm looking for guidance regarding special tools for the removal of the Extension and adjusting Sleeve which are items #5 & 6 in this diagram http://marauder.homestead.com/files/97parts.htm

Remove screw (8 on the drawing) that should release indexing pawl (9) remove.

Unscrew (6) from barrel (1).

Should allow Barrel (1) to be removed from block (5).

May take soaking.

Yes you need a special tool to remove the extension from the barrel. The metal is very thin where the magazine tube and the threads that go on the barrel. I got my tool many years. I haven't seen one since. Here is what it looks like. It is made in two halves and uses allen wrench screws to tighten up to prevent bending the extension. The extension in the tool is an old worn out one I had removed.

20180131_111019.jpg

you must remove the adjusting sleeve. Otherwise it acts as a lock nut ( similar to having two nuts on a bolt).

First remove the adjusting lock screw, then remove the adjusting sleeve lock,  Pull it out or pry it. It should come out easily. You should be able to unscrew the adjusting sleeve, remove it totally. if it is seized use some Kriol. Sometimes you can wear a glove and unscrew it by hand.

When all that is off you can remove the extension using the tool. Before clamping the barrel in a vice use a vice block and put something like a chamber checker to prevent crushing the chamber.

That is it.

Bill

What Just Bill said!

The collars are relatively "fragile" and easily damaged.  Many of the guns are old and some have slight damage, crude or even a little rust build up to make it harder to remove.

When the 97's and model 12's very very popular in the 1930 - 60's, the tool was readily available, but they are rare now.  I think I recall some one in the last decade began producing them again, but don't recall who or where.

Also, used collars are not readily available since they are so easily damaged.  And Winchester has not provided any for decades.

Again, I recall someone was making new ones, but I cannot remember who and if they still make them.

Hi all and thanks for your assistance.  I have the Extension tool like pictured in Just Bill's post.  I'm a little concerned about getting the adjuster sleeve out with out damage.  Will give it a try in the next few weeks and let you know what happens.  Ace

Archived