SASS Wire Forum

Army ditches plan for interrim rifle

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why do you think that they don't now? :huh:

One of the reasons for the M-855 (NATO, SS-109)bullet. -_-

OLG

according to the articles I've read on the ICSR issue body armor is already a concern and one of the reasons for the origination of the ICSR program.

There are a lot of articles "out there" on the ICSR; I'm trying to review these and to compile some sort of reference list.   I have a pretty good start,   I think.

17 minutes ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

when you mentioned ACOG sight, I'm like "WTC?"   ( What's that Critter ? )

so, I did a little research.   at first it seemed the ACOG was a 4x sight and I'm like : how's is that gonna work "clearing a building"?   You need an Uzi or a Winchester 97 for that...    ( tee hee )

then I discovered this:

acog.jpg.108ce497e1a375d69b702c6d10ebe947.jpg

Source: Reloader Direct

This has a 1:1 optical in addition to the 4x sight!  Ah HA!

kind of a clunky thing to have on top of a rifle though-- and the 5,56mm might produce a lot of over penetration in some circumstances.   not that a 12 ga wouldn't though......

I note the photo on the page you referenced appears to show the 1:1 optic as well.

You call the ACOG 'clunky', yet you have never even held an AR carbine with one on it. :rolleyes: No-neither of my ACOGs have the reflex sight.

Here is the one we have with the green reticule-

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31F

Have you ever fired a real AK 47? IF, you had, you would see the BS in that article PDQ! For one thing, the AK is much harder to control in full auto than the M4 is. YES-I have put LOTS rounds through both.

The AK is a poor platform for any optics. Accuracy drops way off after 300 meters. The AK is much heavier also, which means less ammo can be carried. The list goes on. The AK is very outdated.

Now, if you want to talk about and learn of other weapons platforms that IMHO leaves the M4 behind.

Just look at what FN,  Sig and H&K are producing these dayz.......;)

OLG

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You call the ACOG 'clunky',

all you have to do is look at it.   It's clunky, as are optical sights, generally.    I prefer iron sights.

my service weapon was the M16A1

22 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Sounds like a group of experts trying invert a horse and come up with a camel...What does the guy in the battle field want or need...Seems that that comes down to where the fight is at...Open area you want something for long, close room clearing short...Is there one round that can do both, is there one rifle that does both...Being Air Force I have no ideas in this area...The man doing the job are the ones I would talk with...

TL

The army does actually study after action reports from the field and interview a lot of combat troops when looking at new weapons system. Fortunately, the days of the old, “We can’t give the troops repeating rifles. They’d just waste ammunition! Harrumph!”, attitudes are gone. Whether or not they’ll come up with a better rifle and cartridge remains to be seen.

Phased Plasma rifles in the 40 watt range would probably work. But even that wouldn’t satisfy everybody. :lol:

53 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The army does actually study after action reports from the field and interview a lot of combat troops when looking at new weapons system. Fortunately, the days of the old, “We can’t give the troops repeating rifles. They’d just waste ammunition! Harrumph!”, attitudes are gone. Whether or not they’ll come up with a better rifle and cartridge remains to be seen.

Phased Plasma rifles in the 40 watt range would probably work. But even that wouldn’t satisfy everybody. :lol:

I think they would prefer 40 megawatts...That way they could do them in and get rid of left overs...Clean battlefield...

TL

Archived