SASS Wire Forum

OT - SCCY Industries, maker of CPX handguns?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I'm just curious if anyone on the Wire knows much about this company.  Our local newspaper announced that they're moving to East Tennessee and I'm thinking about getting to know them better.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/news/handgun-manufacturer-sccy-to-bring-jobs-initial-million-investment-to/article_6b28e942-d2fc-51a4-9305-ae84c0a2321c.html

I appreciate any insight the Wire can offer.

Anyone who has better information please correct me, but I was told by a knowledgeable dealer that the founder of SCCY was an engineer for Keltec.  The story was that he had suggested improvements in their line and, when he was ignored, he decided to produce a better version of the Keltec P11.  I owned one of their earlier pistols and it had a few problems.  I sent it back for repair and then sold it.  They have a great warranty and their service department was easy to work with.

I'm told by an LEO friend, who is also an FFL, that their current production stuff is very good.  He sells a lot of them and has had no complaints so far. 

Sold many of these guns!  Very reliable and well made. Small enough to carry concealed yet substantial enough to be a range/practice gun. Very well made.

I have had an SCCY CPX-2 for about three years now. What sold me on it is the low price point and the grip size- it fits very well in my hand. I also liked the entrepreneurial story of the company and that they were made/based in Florida. I intended to use it as a carry gun, which I do, though that same thick grip can make it a little bulky. It's an accurate enough shooter. It offers what you'd expect from that type of short-barreled DA-only pistol.

I have had dealings with their customer service department. I don't currently remember the issues I had with the pistol, but there were a few quality/design problems with earlier variants. What I DO remember is that someone always answered the phone, spoke intelligible English, offered the right amount of assistance before requesting that I send the pistol to them, and then promptly sent me a pre-paid shipping label. The other part of that I remember is that they upgraded a few parts free of charge- during a call about another issue, when I commented on noticing a new type of slide release on the CPX's in stores, mine was shipped back with all requested maintenance plus a free change-out of the slide release to the newer model. I know there were a couple of other complimentary improvements they did, but they're not coming to me right now.

Bottom line, it's a good line of pistols, has seen continued improvement, and the company offers great customer service.

I currently have one as my carry gun. Very pleased with it but cannot speak to their customer service because I've never had any issues that would require it. Because I have bigger hands I don't typically like the smaller handguns but this one fits and is comfortable to shoot.

Archived