SASS Wire Forum

Grips for a Colt?

Dusty Chaps, SASS #5925

I have a Colt-Winchester commemorative that I got long ago from a pard that needed money. It came without grips. It is a shooter not a collector. Has some cold blue spots. So, needs grips now cuz I'm gonna sell it. It's 44-40 w a seven inch barrel Not a caliber I shoot. 

I'm guessing 2nd generation?

Hate to spend a fortune.  I have no woodworking tools to fit a grip. 

Ideas?  Hate to send it off for fitting of grips. Too costly to ship?

Nutmeg http://www.nutmegsports.com/   has original Colt takeoffs for $35.00. They will be close but not perfect since the factory grips are fitted to each frame and they are all slightly different. If you want something more showy Altamont  https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/colt/single-action/ is the most bang for the buck. I have Altamont grips on my Colt Woodsman Match Target, New Frontier, Detective and Python. You can also add  the Rampart Colt in either gold or silver. I also have used Hogue on my King Cobra, but they are very pricey so probable not what you are looking for.

On 3/24/2017 at 1:33 AM, Dusty Chaps, SASS #5925-Life said:

I have a Colt-Winchester commemorative that I got long ago from a pard that needed money. It came without grips. It is a shooter not a collector. Has some cold blue spots. So, needs grips now cuz I'm gonna sell it. It's 44-40 w a seven inch barrel Not a caliber I shoot. 

I'm guessing 2nd generation?

Hate to spend a fortune.  I have no woodworking tools to fit a grip. 

Ideas?  Hate to send it off for fitting of grips. Too costly to ship?

I've always wanted one of these revolvers.   To be honest, I'd rather have the original grips than replacements ones.  I'd love to say PM me a price and lets talk, but I did some checking.  The pistol in question is a third generation, and unlike the matching rifle from Winchester that was made as a companion for it, it is NOT C&R eligible.  Being from Massachusetts, that rules me out as a customer.

That being said, knowing what this pistol is, I don't believe that changing the grips would add to it's value or increase it's attractiveness to potential buyers.  Probably the opposite.

Archived