SASS Wire Forum

Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) 1943-1944

I know several times Original Lumpy Grits has mentioned his mother was a member of the WASP. I work at Texas Woman’s University and our Library has several collections and one is dedicated to the WASP. There is a permanent bronze figure and plaques but this last week they had a special display on the WASP so I took some photos.

Here is a link to the WASP site at the University http://www.twu.edu/library/wasp.asp

Scout

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

Kinda remind me of Sage chick.

Girls aren't supposed to be able to do those things!

They were disbanded for political reasons after rendering great service in ferrying planes and towing targets! It took long enough, but they have finally been recognized as having officially served in the Army Air Forces, and entitled to full benefits. They blazed a trail leading to fighter pilots and general officer ranks in the Armed Services, as well as to astronauts. (Haven't kept track, but I believe Sunnita Williams is currently aboard the International Space Station.)

• 4 weeks later...

Wish Mom could have seen that.

THX for posting :excl:

FWIW: Mom was in the Ferrying Service when the 2 unites were combined. Lots of records were lost in a fire at the TX training base used for the WASP's.

CS, in your post #3. Do you have any info on that first picture? I ask because in the top row, 2nd from the right kinda looks like my Mom.

OLG

To add-Very few of the WASPs were trained/certified for 'Pursuit' aircraft(P-51, P-38 and the like)transport. That group of aircraft was classified as 'dangerous' and required special training was done. For some reason, my Mom and a few others never rec'd this training, and they continued to fly this class of A/C, till the end of the war.

Respectfully,

OLG

Archived