SASS Wire Forum

Fighting Back

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article89990992.html

Referendums were filed late Friday to overturn a sweeping package of gun control bills signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown earlier this month, possibly stalling the laws until voters weigh in.

The six laws, which take effect Jan. 1, ban the sale of semi-automatic rifles with magazines that can quickly be detached by pressing a button and possession of high-capacity magazines holding more than 10 rounds. The laws also require background checks for ammunition sales and limit gun loans to between family members.

The referendums were filed by Barry Bahrami of Carlsbad, who could not be reached for comment.

Under deadlines set out in state law, Bahrami faces an uphill battle to qualify for the Nov. 8 ballot. The referendums could spill over to the 2018 election, which would suspend the laws until the vote.

State law gives proponents of a referendum 90 days from the date the law is signed to gather 365,880 voter signatures. Brown signed the bills July 1, which means Bahrami would need to submit the signatures by Sept. 29.

County election officials then have 38 working days to count and sample the signatures before a referendum can qualify for the November ballot.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot-measures/attorney-general-information/

Prayers are up for those of you standing your ground and not leaving your way of life. We are with you, for without you we fail. This is the frontlines and it is not a battle fought alone.

Thanks, Triple T. Comments like yours really help us "soldier on" as The Colonel says. It seems a Sisyphean task, but at some point we WILL get that damned boulder over the hill. Civil rights can't be trampled down forever.

Wish I could lend more than moral support. I suspect that my signature would be thrown out since I don't reside in the state.

Archived