SASS Wire Forum

Chiappa 1892 Carbine

Is anyone familiar with the quality of the Chiappa 1892 Carbine in .357? How adaptable is it for tuning for CAS? Are parts as readily available for this rifle as they are for the 1866, 1873, and 1894? Can you shoot .38s in it without jams?

I don't really need another rifle, but am interested in having an 1892, because this is the rifle John Wayne used in most of this movies. The Winchester is only in .44 mag as far as I can tell.

Mac

Howdy,

Start out right. Contact Steve Young and buy one of his tuned

92s ready to go.

Even if you have to wait a little he can set it up the way you like.

Get the right stuff the first time and you are all set.

Best

CR

Winchester 1892s have been made in various configurations in recent years. I have seen them in .32-20, .38-40, .44-40, and .45 Long Colt. They run best (in my very limited experience) when paired with the cartridges they were designed for--the .44-40 and .38-40--but tuning a different one should not be too difficult. The Chiappas tend to cost quite a bit, I think I'd keep my eyes open for a Winchester. You buy the Chiappa then dump money into smoothing it out . . . may as well spend the extra and own the real deal.

Oh, and they also are made (Winchester brands) in .357 if that is what you want. Check Gunbroker to get an idea as to what is available. If I were not buying a Winchester I personally would buy the Rossi and have a competent 92 man slick it up.

Just my opinion.

Archived