SASS Wire Forum

Opinion time, once again

Alpo

You have a 75-year-old log cabin. The logs are weathered, from 75 years of weather :P And they are thick, because back then we still had big trees.

You have decided your cabin needs an addition. Everyone tells you, "You'll never be able to match those old logs".

Would you have your addition made of RB&B, stained to match the old logs, or made of new, unweathered, skinnier logs, because, "it's a LOG CABIN, dammit, not a stick-and-siding shack!!"

The guy in the book is going with the board and batten, and my inner rustic is crying out in agony.

If I was to replace wood in a cabin of old construction I would look for reclaimed wood. The old growth timber had much tighter rings and has shrunk over the years making a much better fit and more consistent change due to weather. I'm not a botanist nor an expert. I do know that timber years ago had much tighter growth rings. The tighter the rings the stronger the wood and less change from year to year in moisture content and other factors. Todays woods actually seems to have wider rings indicating faster growth and weaker wood. Just look at any piece of old pine wood 2x4 and compare it to the current pine offered at the local building supply, you will see what I mean. You will have more warpage in the wider (newer wood) than the old wood and its not just due to curing or aging of the wood. Example would be the individual who is recovering old growth timber that was lost in the great lakes 100 years ago in logging operations. The cold temperatures of the lakes has preserved this lumber and it is commanding some of the highest lumber prices in the world today. Timber is actually growing faster today than 100 years ago and is of much lower quality. when I buy lumber I look for tight growth rings indicating a better quality lumber. Just MHO and I may be totally off base but that was what I was taught by elders.

Why I would call these guys, of course!

http://www.diynetwork.com/shows/barnwood-builders

Seriously, it would depend on a variety of factors. The size, style and use of the cabin would be one. Remember, back in the days when a cabin was the first thing built, if and when a family was able, they either added a stick built addition, built a normal house and left the cabin for other uses, or covered the cabin with siding. I've seen a number of the latter in the appalachian regions Kentucky, West Virginia, and Ohio.

If aesthetics were my primary concern, and the cabin was my weekend/vacation place, then logs, by all means.

Stone and mortar. The choice of stone (size and color) and the orientation could be made to look as old as the cabin. Making the addition look even older (and the log portion newer) might be cool. You could play 'guess which side is older' with friends.

Stone was mentioned, in the book.

Carpenter says, "I can't match those logs."

Owner says, "Don't care. Use board and batten and stain it to match."

Carpenter says, "That old foundation is fieldstone. The last stonemason around here died two years ago. I'll have to use concrete."

Owner says, "That'll be fine. When can you start?"

The first carpenter got the studs and roof up, then disappeared (he was murdered and buried in the woods).

The replacement carpenter got it dried in, and cut a hole in the cabin wall for the doorway, then he was murdered and buried in the crawlspace underneath the cabin.

Then a tornado come along, didn't touch the cabin, but made ALL the addition go away.

So now he's got a cabin with a hole in the wall, with a sheet of plywood nailed over it.

Classy.

Archived